Will they return?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrs_woodguy, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mrs_woodguy

mrs_woodguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    A bad bad dog got into my fortress of a coop Saturday. 8 confirmed casualities. I had 26 chickens. He have had 9 return. What are the chances I might have more show up I am devastated. We go looking in the woods but finding them is the needle in a haystack scenerio. Tell me they are just spooked and will find their way home.

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I hope they will [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Some will be returning, as they calm down. You may find others up in low hanging tree branches, especially ever-greens.

As for the dog? Load the gun, and S. S. S.

4. mrs_woodguy

Oct 28, 2010
    I searched again today but all I saw were a couple of deer. But as they ran past I am sure I heard the clucking of startled chickens. I am desperately hoping that they are working their way home. This is taking much longer than I want. Any one have any suggestions on chicken luring techniques? My rooster is less than vocal these days. We have even tried playing rooster crowing on Youtube over the car stereo.

5. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    i hope they come back.........

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Did they used to come to you, using the scratch in a coffee can technique? If so, that'll help a lot, especially for hungry birds. If you never had a routine, such a sound would have no meaning to them now. Hoping the very best for you.

7. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    I am also hoping the best. I really don't think that they are far, just good at hiding.

8. mrs_woodguy

Oct 28, 2010
    I was so happy with my girls. They gave me the most beautiful dark brown, olive green and blue and and pinkish eggs. It was a treat every day to collect my prizes. The girls all got along well. It could not have been any better. Now the girls I have left are scared and worried. They make almost no noise at all. It is just sad. I would very much like to fast forward to a day when they come home and are happy satisfied chickens again.
    I visited them every night and called them just as I call them in the woods. I never used a coffee can but I did feed them in a metal feeder. Maybe tomorrow I will go back and pour some feed in a tin and hope the are close enough to get to it. They are great at hiding believe me.

9. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. Don't you hate when everything is going well and then BLAM, out of nowhere it gets destroyed. I hope they come back, but since it was several days ago I don't think the odds are good. [​IMG] Your remaining chickens will settle down in a few days and you will feel better too. Just do what I did, learn where the weakness in the coop is and spend your angry energy making sure it never happens again! Hugs.

10. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Good luck, I would try the food in the TIN and hope they hear it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by