Will they squat willingly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cravenchx, Nov 27, 2011.

1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I have 5 month old mixed breeds. One rooster, 13 pullets.
    Right now, Max is not very gentle with the ladies. He has
    however, started doing the cutest dance, you know stepping
    sideways, stretching a wing, but the girls still run. But he'll catch
    one...and you know. Will they ever squat willingly? And no, they
    aren't laying eggs yet![​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    They will eventually be more willing participants. [​IMG]

3. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Glad to hear this, it can be pretty brutal!

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i use to want my eggs to be fertile when i had a broody hen so i got a hen which i new was laying and what eggs and would put her right at the bottom of the feild and then run away and the rooster sees her and he sticks his wings out and runs down and when she sees him she just stands there and then when he gets there she rather jumps then squats or attempts to run away

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My only laying pullet gladly squats down and the rooster is on & off in a matter of seconds - no fuss, no fits - everyone is happy [​IMG] I've noticed the other pullets who are slightly younger (16 weeks this Tuesday) avoid him like the plague. I do think he's only servicing my oldest pullet at this point - but soon there may be room for expansion. My pullet just started laying 3 days ago - she is 19 weeks old as of yesterday.

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    My roo is off the deep end. He's still young...first year. Probably 9 or 10 months old. It's brutal. None of them submit willingly as he approaches and does his little dance. He'll often try a few times, and when denied, he'll jump up and grab the back of their neck and really smash it into the ground. It seems that he's almost taking the denial out on them, being really harsh. And he's a BIG rooster, compared to the girls. Back a couple months ago, when some of them started laying, they would squat for me, and for him. But I think they are just tired of him, LOL. Keep trying to tell them it'll be easier if they just submit [​IMG]

Having a young, mating rooster can look pretty brutal at times...

7. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:You described exactly. I'm hoping that this means I will be getting eggs soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by