Will This Be Big Enough? Please Help!

Exotica

C'est La Vie
Aug 16, 2015
Baldwin Park, California
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!

Two weeks ago I purchased 4 Autralorp chicks and a Barred Plymouth Rock. I have no idea how big this chicks will get!

Is this coop enough for them if I'm going to let them free range my whole backyard and just sleep here at night? I live in sunny California so weather is not a concern! They'll be free-ranging every excluding rainy days where I'll fasten a diaper on them and have them walk around my garage for exercise :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-wood-...id=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&mehot=pp&sd=311043537820

I think you will be disappointed. You would be much better off for those breeds and that many with a 4'x6' coop. The coop you show is only 2 feet wide. The nest these breeds will need is half of that so that run is TIGHT. The coop I am sure is measured to include the nest space as usable coop space.

It may work for 2 or 3 bantams. I would recommend you continue your search.

I'm pretty new to raising chickens, but I have 3 Australorps and 4 Wyanndottes. The Australorps get to be pretty large (mine are 20 weeks old) and if I am looking at it correctly, it looks like there's only one perch. They would need more area to roost at night, in my opinion.

Any other thoughts?

That coop looks tiny for the breeds you have chosen. Those are some large breeds, you need at least 1 foot of roost space per bird. More is better so they can spread out in warm weather. Also, do not get a coop with a roosting bar at the same height as the nest boxes. It's just asking for poop covered eggs.

How much does a coop for 5 large chickens usually run? Sadly in California, everything is SUPER overpriced. I'm a college student and a female that does not know how to build, nor does any male in my family ):

Edit: Sorry for double posting!

Last edited:
A 4x6 coop in California on Craigslist ranges from $1,000-$1,500. What's worse is I'm near Los Angeles )':
Sadly, it was my little sister and mother's idea to buy the chicks without consulting me. Of course,
like all our other pets - It ended up being my responsibility. I love them so much already so I don't mind but no one is willing to help me pay.

Back
Top Bottom