Will this broken beak grow back?

Nah it’s not going to. He doesn’t need wet food. That’s BS. He can still pick up food with that screwy beak he’ll just have to drop his head a little lower. I would just leave it the way it is.
Oh, OK. Will the bottom beak keep growing and get even screwier, or stay about the same?

A friend of mine has a bantam hen with NO upper beak at all. She does just fine with chick crumble in a deep dish. The crumbles stick to her tongue and she uses her bottombeak as a scoop. I thought she was doomed, but she's a sassy little thing and has been just fine for a while now.
20200608_115446.jpg

My rooster broke his beak while doing rooster stuff. That happened two weeks ago, but it doesn't look like it is getting better. How long does it take for a beak to grow back? Here is a picture taken today. His face is messy because he has been eating wet food. He is eating very little since the injury, and has lost weight.

If it will not grow back, should I file the lower beak to match the upper? He sticks his tongue out a lot, like he is trying to lick somehing.
How is your boy doing now? I noticed one of our roos seems to have somehow injured his beak-it looks like he shaved the top layer of his top beak off from the top to the tip so the top beak is shorter than bottom. I don't have a pic but plan to get one and post about it tonight. Yours was the closest existing post to what ours looks like so I figured I would check with you in the mean time. His crop wasn't as full as the others last night so I am worried about how much he is eating. He can't take meal worms out of my hand right now and when I held crumble in my hand like a scoop he was able to eat it and scarfed it down like he hadn't been able to get any feed out of the regular feeder :( Wondering how best to make sure he is getting enough to eat.

How is your boy doing now? I noticed one of our roos seems to have somehow injured his beak-it looks like he shaved the top layer of his top beak off from the top to the tip so the top beak is shorter than bottom. I don't have a pic but plan to get one and post about it tonight. Yours was the closest existing post to what ours looks like so I figured I would check with you in the mean time. His crop wasn't as full as the others last night so I am worried about how much he is eating. He can't take meal worms out of my hand right now and when I held crumble in my hand like a scoop he was able to eat it and scarfed it down like he hadn't been able to get any feed out of the regular feeder :( Wondering how best to make sure he is getting enough to eat.
Top beak never grew back. Bottom beak has kept growing so he looks even wierder now. He can't use a normal feeder or the nipple waterers, so I have to give him his own food and water in a deep bowl. I plan to trim off the lower beak to make it match the top, in a few weeks.

I plan to trim off the lower beak to make it match the top, in a few weeks.

Be careful before you do that.
There is a blood vein in the lower beak that is not far from the front tip. We had a hen once whose lower beak we had to trim periodically, and at least once we got just a little too close to that blood vein 😲
EDIT: If I recall correctly, you can see that vein if looking at the lower beak from the underside...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom