Will this chick make it?? I need help!

Hey guys. A few minutes ago, my sister and I were cleaning out the broody hen’s coop when we found a cold egg that had an external pip. My sister really wanted to see what was inside so she peeled back some of the shell, revealing a still-alive chick and a bit of blood. I immediately, I brought the egg inside. Right now, it is on a heating pad, with a damp washcloth and a warm rice sock next to it. The whole contraption is in an empty drawer. I also added some coconut oil to the dried out membrane in order to soften it up. The chick is still alive and trying to break free of its shell. What else can I do? Will it survive? I really need some help. Thanks guys!
Edit: the egg is not still bleeding.

The first thing I would do is, take the damp cloth away and replace it with a dry one, it may chill the duckling. I would then try to get the temp around 99F, apply a moister like coconut oil to the membrane, and keep it moist until the duckling hatches. DO not peel any more of the shell off.

Can you post some pictures? Also, roughly how long has the chick been trying to hatch? If it’s chirping and not bleeding anymore it’s a good sign! Keep it on the heating pad and keep the membrane moist but be careful not to drown the chick.
For about 20 minutes. I checked a little while ago and the baby was quieter but still alive.

For about 20 minutes. I checked a little while ago and the baby was quieter but still alive.

I’ve had a similar problem before. Always make sure the baby can breathe and is still responsive (chirping). After a few hours if its not making progress with hatching and it gets weaker, I would recommend you to assist with the hatch. You don’t want the baby to get too weak and not be able to survive once it’s born. But always start small and see if the chick can finish off andif you see any blood stop immediately. I would recommend watching some videos on assisted hatching before going a head with it and make sure to leave it as a last resort, to save it’s life. Good luck, keep us posted!!

Back
Top Bottom