Will this chick survive ? Egg yolk/hernia?

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
One chick just fully hatched , started yesterday morning pipping. Second egg is pipped. But the one that just hatched has a very large lump on its abdominal. Is this likely the yolk or a hernia ?

Attachments

• E765B016-9A0B-4370-89BC-ADAF7662F3F3.jpeg
    E765B016-9A0B-4370-89BC-ADAF7662F3F3.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 4CE76C02-D14C-4352-9CAE-2AAFF4FAC0AA.jpeg
    4CE76C02-D14C-4352-9CAE-2AAFF4FAC0AA.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 11
I know it's hard, but personally I would leave it. It may or may not absorb, give it time and let the chick move around in there and see what happens.
You don't want to open the bator since you have another hatching.

What day are you on? Did you candle before lockdown? You may have more getting ready to hatch, hard to know.

It’s wedge right now between the dud eggs. Unfortunately with the shipped eggs, I had only 3 really developing. But on day 16 of candle the 3 rd egg had no more movement and the veins were gone. However I didn’t expect it to get that far in developing due to it having a large crack.

As of hatching I am just left with two eggs. This one with the egg yolk and the other egg with the pipped. Yesterday was day 21 and today is day 22.
The chick that hatched already did have a saddle air sac. It is very chirpy. It’s a new incubator (brinsea) and I only had 6 shipped eggs in it. Hoping for the best. I really don’t want a chick to be a loner. And my silkie is unfortunately not broody at this time.

Any advice? It seems only two eggs were viable in this batch. But I don’t want to shrink wrap the second egg that has just popped today.
If this one dies the other last un-hatched egg will be alone. The other eggs seemed to have all stopped developing but I didn’t want to remove them in fear of changing the temp and humidity.

the chick with the yolk sac is now about 2 hrs old in the incubator moving around. Do I leave it? Will the sac dry out and that not be good ? Or will it reabsorb? It’s peeping a lot.

I know it's hard, but personally I would leave it. It may or may not absorb, give it time and let the chick move around in there and see what happens.
You don't want to open the bator since you have another hatching.

What day are you on? Did you candle before lockdown? You may have more getting ready to hatch, hard to know.

I have two chicks now. The other one hatched an hour ago. The one with the un-absorbed yolk sac, is about half absorbed. It seems weak, but the new one in the incubator is running around a lot. I am not sure what else to do. It is staying in the incubator tonight. Will see if it fares out in the morning. The yolk sac also looks like it is drying out as it shrinks. There is some residue on the yolk sac, possibly the remittance of the embryo or cord.

If the other is hatched and you're sure there's no more going to hatch (you're done) and the chicks are dry, then I would open the bator, apply some plain neosporin or bacitracin to the exposed tissue of that chick. Place the chick in a coffee or tea cup (add a clean cloth or paper towel for cushioning and put the chick back in the bator - see if that helps.
As for the other one, if your brooder is ready, you can put it there or leave it in the bator with the other one overnight. If you take it out, give it something to snuggle with - stuffed animal or even a folded up towel, etc.

I hope in the morning things look better. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom