Will this keep them safe?

Augie1

Chirping
Aug 18, 2020
Just finished setting up my premier one electric fence. For gates, I use an old plastic fence I had. I have 2 entries one large one for a rideable mower and another smaller one. I have yet to set up my energizer (a KUBE 3000 High Impedance energizer) hopefully on Monday. I'm going to set it up on a U post on IMG #. A reason I set up my energizer there was because that's near the drip irrigation from the tree so the soil is damp and good for my grounding rod. I plan to have Turkeys in the fenced area and have them sleep on a movable pallet perch.
What do you think of the setup?

Larger Entry for mower
IMG-0187.jpg

I plan to have the energizer on the U post where the plastic fence connects.
IMG-0185.jpg

The Fence is 164ft

IMG-0184.jpg

Smaller gate. The plastic fence slides over the support post
IMG-0183.jpg

Just finished setting up my premier one electric fence. For gates, I use an old plastic fence I had. I have 2 entries one large one for a rideable mower and another smaller one. I have yet to set up my energizer (a KUBE 3000 High Impedance energizer) hopefully on Monday. I'm going to set it up on a U post on IMG #. A reason I set up my energizer there was because that's near the drip irrigation from the tree so the soil is damp and good for my grounding rod. I plan to have Turkeys in the fenced area and have them sleep on a movable pallet perch.

Larger Entry for mower
View attachment 2444669

View attachment 2444671

The Fence is 164ft

View attachment 2444672

View attachment 2444673
Since the plastic gates are not electrified, aren't you worried that the plastic fencing will be where the predators will go through?

I like it! I used premier one fencing this summer for turkeys and chickens. One precaution, make sure it stays tight (yours looks tighter than mine ended up). I lost 2 turkeys (almost 3 but I found the third one in time) because they got tangled up and strangled. The electric will keep predators out but the turkeys won't pay any attention to it.

Larger Entry for mower
View attachment 2444669

View attachment 2444671

The Fence is 164ft

View attachment 2444672

View attachment 2444673
Can you make it metal or something where the plastic is? Predators will try the whole thing and comeback again and again if they find an opening.

Just relooked at your setup. Do the 2 ends of the premier one fencing come close enough together to connect the end wires? If not you won't have a complete circuit so electric won't work.

Just relooked at your setup. Do the 2 ends of the premier one fencing come close enough together to connect the end wires? If not you won't have a complete circuit so electric won't work.
It will still work. But won't have the same power if you to do it from the middle.

"The answer is no, an electric fence DOES NOT have to make a complete loop. However, there are advantages and disadvantages to completing the fence loop. Creating a continuous loop will increase voltage on the fence line, because power is pushed in both directions. Essentially, with a continuous loop, voltage only has to travel half the distance. "

Can you make it metal or something where the plastic is? Predators will try the whole thing and comeback again and again if they find an opening.
I can't really think of anything that is cheap flexible netting that is an easy gate.
Do you have any ideas?

It will still work. But won't have the same power if you to do it from the middle.

"The answer is no, an electric fence DOES NOT have to make a complete loop. However, there are advantages and disadvantages to completing the fence loop. Creating a continuous loop will increase voltage on the fence line, because power is pushed in both directions. Essentially, with a continuous loop, voltage only has to travel half the distance. "
I stand corrected.
I'm not sure how you would connect it to the premier one fencing but you could get this wire and run a couple hot wires near the bottom with handles so you could pull them back when you want to get into the pasture.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/american-farmworks-poly-wire-656-ft?cm_vc=-10005 (they might have shorter amounts, this was the first one that came up in my search.) Personally I wouldn't worry about your walk through one.

Back
Top Bottom