Will this make a good incubator ?

Wisher1000 they suggest 85 to 87% humidity in the chart that certainly is not a dry hatch I have never read of the humidity being so high.

Most old timers, and very old books recommend 85% humidity.

I was told by a man that hatched quail as a business too keep the humidity up to 85% the whole incubation.

REALLY? I bet he has a lot of "duds" when day 18 rolls around.

But he probably uses a wet bulb, instead of a digital hygrometer.

Wisher1000 they suggest 85 to 87% humidity in the chart that certainly is not a dry hatch I have never read of the humidity being so high.
Yes, in my opinion, that is way too high. I was at about 20% to 30% for most of my hatch and raised that as much as I could on day 18 with only putting water in the trays in the bottom (stryro bator.) At lockdown, I had it up to 68% to 78% just after I filled the trays but it would fall to below 50% before I filled them again. The RH would shoot up to over 80% when one was hatching. My hatch did fine! None drowned, none were shrink wrapped. I would throw wet paper towels in if I had to open it while the hatch was in progress. The humidity is not that critical in my experience (temp is much more crucial.)

Another suggestion - Have some way of measuring how much water you add at a time and keep a log so you can determine how much water = how many % points it raises = for how long. I have clear tubing that goes to my trays and I use a feeding syringe that is marked in CCs. I just keep a notebook on each hatch with the date, time, what I did, what was the effect.
IE: June 11-day 13, 8:05p, temp 98.9, RH 21%, candled
June 12-day 14, 7:45a, temp 99.5, RH 18%, added 25cc H2O
June 12-day 14, 8:10a, temp 99.3, RH 27%
June 13-day 15, 6:38a temp 99.5, RH 25%, tossed an EE - weeping, 22 eggs in bator
June 13-day 15, 8:50p, temp 99.5, RH 22%
I also make notes of anything else that is happening, candling, eggs tossed and why, etc. Just don't get too wrapped up in this, it can turn into a real chore if you try to keep up with each egg or try to check too often. I try to make a note if things have changed each time I check on the bator. If I check and the temp and humidity is the same as last, I don't bother writing it down. Of course, you need keep track more often the first few hatches and if there is a problem with the hatch rate, but once you have it all stable and have begun to trust your bator, you won't be checking as often. I sometimes skip days altogether (which I DON'T recommend!)

Last edited:
I have my humidity running about 40 % right now I'll try that and bump it up during lockdown. I have central heat and air in the home the ac can really pull out the humidity that's why I want to just put a little in the bator the first 18 days. I will candle and compare with the air cell chart as I go and make minor adjustments as needed.

Yea, if 40% is where it is naturally in your area it will be much easier to just let that be the RH for your hatch! Try it and see if it works well for the eggs (which is all that really matters) and go with what is easier. I didn't worry with mine until it went under 20% and then only added water to one tray. It worked for me.

Make sure to have several thermometers. I had two, one digital one mercury, on my first two hatches and they always agreed with each other to the degree. I was confident that they were right because they always agreed, even when the temp went up and down. I had a 0% hatch rate on both hatches. I bought a cheapy at Walmart and it showed 5 degrees hotter than the other two. I bought an expensive one and it agreed with the third cheap one! I had cooked the first two sets of eggs. Crap, live and learn.

Last edited:
I have my humidity running about 40 % right now I'll try that and bump it up during lockdown. I have central heat and air in the home the ac can really pull out the humidity that's why I want to just put a little in the bator the first 18 days. I will candle and compare with the air cell chart as I go and make minor adjustments as needed.
First 18 day humidity 40-45 is good, last 3 day you need to raise 50-55 to hatch.

Yea, if 40% is where it is naturally in your area it will be much easier to just let that be the RH for your hatch! Try it and see if it works well for the eggs (which is all that really matters) and go with what is easier. I didn't worry with mine until it went under 20% and then only added water to one tray. It worked for me.

Make sure to have several thermometers. I had two, one digital one mercury, on my first two hatches and they always agreed with each other to the degree. I was confident that they were right because they always agreed, even when the temp went up and down. I had a 0% hatch rate on both hatches. I bought a cheapy at Walmart and it showed 5 degrees hotter than the other two. I bought an expensive one and it agreed with the third cheap one! I had cooked the first two sets of eggs. Crap, live and learn.
I was wondering about the whole thermometer thing I have 3, one of the egg thermometers that actually sit in the turner a temp and humidity combo and then the thermo on the incukit. Oh and a cheap-O from walmart that seems to be the more accurate one. I guess the most important one would be the one controlling temp on the incukit. More tweaking I guess will be needed but i'm real close.

Sounds good too me too i'm feeling a little more at ease with whole thing. I have had chickens for about a whole 3 months this will be my first bator ( homemade) and my first hatch
Once the hatching bug kicks in - about the time your first egg pips - you will be educated in chicken math! LOL! I wish you great luck and hope you enjoy the experience. Don't fret over the details to the point that it is stressful, that takes the fun out of it. Just relax and enjoy!

Once the hatching bug kicks in - about the time your first egg pips - you will be educated in chicken math! LOL! I wish you great luck and hope you enjoy the experience. Don't fret over the details to the point that it is stressful, that takes the fun out of it. Just relax and enjoy!
I already have the chicken math down to a science I wanted 10 to start with but wound up with 30 I have 19 Cuckoo Marans, 6 Barnevelders including some blue laced Barnie's, and 5 black Orpingtons

Back
Top Bottom