Will this quail house work?

The first one.. What am I?
The second one... RAWR I'm a panther, wait I'm a week old MEOW!!!!
The third one.. ehh I'm a tuxpearl, why am I here again?
After the first one I gave up trying to take photos on paper.. quick lil cuties

Last edited:
I think the first one will clear up and become a red breasted female. The second is a beautiful golden pearl - looks female as well. I'm actually not sure the tuxedo is golden pearl. I just compared his back markings to my normal and blueface roos and he is pretty similar to one of my bluefaces. Golden pearls usually have streaks of much lighter color (like the panther), and the males have those at the middle of their backs so they should be there even though he is tuxedo. Calling it 'he' is just a guess by the way - from the pictures I can't rule out a blueface tuxedo female, it just happens to have markings that are very similar to one of my blueface males.

9 button quails in a 32 sq ft? That's like a 4 ft by 8 ft enclosure. And you're asking if that's enough? I say of course! I house 20 jumbo quails in a 4X8 and they were fine. Button quails are much smaller and will enjoy that much space. There's room to expand your flock. Just remember to keep a good male to female ratio. I keep mine at 1 male to 4-5 females and they get along good. My most dominant females don't like new comers so be careful when introducing new birds - don't like as in will kill new comers.

I haven't kept quails with chicken, but I have kept quails with pigeons. They are living well together. As for chicken, I think they should be fine as long as they are in separate pens. I'm not too worry about disease being spread (cuz I believe you should keep all your birds disease free as much as possible anyways), I'm more worry about the chicken picking on the quails if they are in the same pen.
I can´t have that ratio. the kids are too attached to the males. Will the quail use the run? No chickens to share with
tongue.png

I don't think the red breasted is a female it has neck markings

[/IMG]

Last edited:
I see your point. Those do look suspicious :p But it could be female anyway. Or the female body coloration could molt off and it'll turn into a completely normal red breasted male.. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome
pop.gif

With regards to using a run, I actually think they are more likely to use the run than the enclosed part, but it depends on many factors and in reality I have never kept buttons that had access to both inside and outside so I'm just guessing because they seem to be attracted to light.

I fear your females will be over bred.
As long as there is at least one female for each male, the ratio is not wrong for button quail. They are a different species from coturnix quail. The only problem is keeping more males in the same enclosure - that can cause all kinds of problems.

Um.... I counted based on neck pattern and i have 5 males... how can i introduce a female to 9 one and a half week old quail?

House her beside them, preferably separated by a single layer of wire, for a week or so, then introduce her. However, you could also remove two males and keep them together without females. Usually males don't fight if there are no females around and they could live happily together.

Could it be a coturnix female...
big_smile.png
i figure since she's larger she wont get bullied and since she's the only coturnix she wont bully. If that's ok then will button males mate with her?

Back
Top Bottom