Will this work? Advice needed on fitting all eggs in incubator

slimpys

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
I have a hovabator incubator with a turner and am about to start my third hatch. I picked up two different sets of eggs and both sellers gave me extras. Certainly no complaints, but now I have more eggs than my turner can hold. I am able to fit all the eggs in using paper egg cartons and have cut very small holes in the bottom. I was going to turn them by placing a book under one end of the incubator and then move it to the other end. My plan is to use this until day 10 assuming some of he eggs won't develop.

Will this work? Should I just put the eggs on the floor of the incubator and forget the egg cartons? Is there any problems with having the full incubator on it's side? Is there a way to candle theeggs now and find ones that have a lower chance of hatching? I had good hatch rates using the turner and reallydont want to screw this hatch up as it's my favorite breeds and not the mixes I did in my first two hatches.

Any advice on how best to deal with a full incubator would be appreciated! Thanks!

--Tracy

I almost always have an overfull incubator.
When I candle and throw out the duds, I end up fine.
I usually just place the extra eggs along the side on the rack and hand turn.
I also stack some on top of the turner; but not too many eggs since you don't want to prevent the turner from turning.
Mahonri posted a pic of the stacked eggs in his 'bator:

Thanks for the pic! I wasn't sure that I could stack them - couldn't think of why not, but it just seemed wrong. What is the blue cord you have? Is that how you add water? I feel much better now to just stack the eggs that don't fit along the side. :)

That pic was taken by Mahonri (so I'm not sure what the blue cord is for).
My eggs are stacked similar with additional eggs on the wire rack at the side.
The only thing you need to worry about is making sure the turner is still turning; especially with the large eggs.
I hatch Silkie eggs, so I can stack a whole lotta eggs.
smile.png

So what kinds of eggs did you get?

Back
Top Bottom