will young pullets copy old hens?

Miniflock

Songster
7 Years
Mar 19, 2015
I adopted a couple of hens who had been in a confined space used for egg production. They are very happy in their new coop, but do not go up on the roosts, & seem to be sleeping in the nest boxes or on the floor in some straw. Will they pass on this habit to our young pullets when I put them out in the coop?

Yes, the pullets can pick up the bad habits of the hens. You may need to teach the hens to roost (put them up on the roost each night, after dark).
Thanks, will try that tonight if I can grab them. They aren't used to being handled yet.

How long have you had them?
Do it after dark.
I've had them since Monday, so just a few days. Didn't get a chance to put them up there last night. Noticed our new Silkie Roo isn't going up there either.

I adopted a couple of hens who had been in a confined space used for egg production. They are very happy in their new coop, but do not go up on the roosts, & seem to be sleeping in the nest boxes or on the floor in some straw. Will they pass on this habit to our young pullets when I put them out in the coop?
I 'rescued' a Plymouth Bar Rock from a production farm and she slept on the floor of the new coop for a few weeks. She now loves to use the roosting bar. Her sticky butt has improved too. I believe she now enjoys the free range as well. So, just be patient I guess, she'll see the others up there and get the idea!

Back
Top Bottom