1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wimpy Madagascars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Redcatcher, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I've got a six month old stag and pullet free ranging in my garden that are allowing themselves to be chased off by an Ameraucana rooster. He shows up in the garden after being chased off by his own flock. He's at the very bottom of the pecking order, yet the Madagascar games won't even try to defend themselves. While I'm glad they aren't real aggressive to my other birds, they don't seem to have any pride at all.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Interesting, you'd think they would have some pride. . . . Is this an only case or do you find it with all of your Madagascars?

Also, you HAVE to show pics. [​IMG] Big time fan of the breed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    A pic would be cool!! It's a new breed to me and I love to learn anything poultry!!

4. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Ok just googled them and hard to imagine them running from your Roo!! [​IMG]

5. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Here they are. The stag weighs about 9 lbs and is solid muscle. There wouldn't be any contest. I don't get it. I've only had hens previously and one crippled stag that I kept isolated.

[​IMG]

6. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Really interesting birds!! Thank you for the photo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by