Win some, lose some - a bittersweet ending

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MiniDriver, Nov 13, 2009.

1. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Yesterday was a bad day. I came home from work and went to check on the chickens. There was only one chicken in the coop, and there are supposed to be three. Caramel was terrified. I looked around in the dark yard, and found one of the chickens, AB, dead. It looked like a hawk got her.

Dora was nowhere to be found, and I guessed the hawk took her. I searched the yard and even the neighbor's yards, but she had disappeared.

I was devastated, and worried that Caramel wouldn't survive the winter alone.

This morning we awoke to the smell of skunk. I worried, thinking Dora might be out there hiding somewhere having survived the hawk attack and then fell vulnerable to the skunk.

I searched again as soon as it was light, hoping against hope. I didn't see her anywhere. I confessed to my crazy hope to my bf, and he said gently, No honey, she's gone.

We went out and did some errands, then came home. BF went out to check on Caramel, and almost immediately came to the back door with tears in his eyes and holding... DORA.

I never thought I'd be that glad to see a chicken. Our dear Dora, our favorite chicken, survived.

It's a bittersweet ending, but I'm so glad our Dora is home safe.

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Wow! What an (almost) happy ending. I'm so glad Dora is safe. Obviously she found a good place to hide. So sorry about AB and the whole ordeal.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry you lost one. But I'm also thrilled for Caramel to still have Dora and not have to be alone.

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I am so glad caramel and dora have each other. SS for your loss tho. [​IMG]

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    So sorry about AB - but what a thrill that Dora hid out and survived!

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so glad you found Dora. I am sorry you lost AB. Have you corrected the problem so that nothing else can get in to your girls? That would be my priority...

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Great news. If they come back, it is usually in the first 24 hrs.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry for your loss, but glad you still have two fluffy butts to comfort you. [​IMG]

9. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    sorry about your chicken but im glad
    that DORA is still alive [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by