Wind Chill Know How

I put intact straw bales into the run as wind baffles so that the chickens can be outside with a little shelter from the gusts.

Also, it's important to know that because of the friction against the ground the wind intensity down there where the chickens are isn't as strong as it is for us.

I have seen my chickens outside pecking around during a tropical storm. The wind did not inconvenience them.
Thank you. I love the bales idea.

When they've had enough of the wind and/or cold they will go inside. Birds fluff their feathers to trap heat when needed and relax them to release it needed. They have built in thermostats we humans could only dream about.

My run is an old greenhouse frame wrapped in wire, and covered with a carport tarp. (Yes, it's just as redneck as you are imagining and only temporary)Its open to the south. Mine hang out in there all day no matter the weather, even well below 0.
I’m learning. Thanks so much everyone!! We are up for 28” of snow in the next 24 hours so even more to be learned!! Stay warm if you’re in this storms path.

Thank you. I love the bales idea.

Here's a photo. They're in a T because I can get storms from any direction. If your winds are consistent from one direction you can just make a wall.

1201201229 (1).jpg

I put intact straw bales into the run as wind baffles so that the chickens can be outside with a little shelter from the gusts.

Also, it's important to know that because of the friction against the ground the wind intensity down there where the chickens are isn't as strong as it is for us.

I have seen my chickens outside pecking around during a tropical storm. The wind did not inconvenience them.

It's been a rather windy day here. Late this afternoon, when I was checking for eggs, the wind was gusting strongly. When I entered the pen the ladies all came out to see if I'd brought them any treats. A gust kicked up and they all protested loudly and ran around to the downwind side of their wind baffle.

Then they complained some more because they hold me personally responsible for the weather. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom