Window construction

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newchickmom, Sep 26, 2009.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does anyone have details for building your own plexiglass windows?

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I just framed the inside of the window with 1/2" wood strips all the way around, put the plexiglass in, and then put in 1/2" wood strips on the outside.

3. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I want the window to open up

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I'd frame it like a picture frame, screwing the plexi onto the back of the wood. The windows could then be opened from hinges on the top or the sides like a hopper window.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, hinges are by far your easiest route.

Or you could make sliding tracks for it if you are feeling ambitious and own a router or appropriate somewhat-obscure hardware; but remember to allow for wood swelling/warping with moisture changes in the air.

Making single- or double-hung windows like in a house is a Project and probably not really worthwhile anyhow.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    You might consider just trying to find a recycled window. They are left over after people remodel, and are often perfectly good. Many towns have a business that sells recycled building materials, or look for your local "thrift" newspaper, freecycle or craigslist. I've found great windows that were purchased for a home (remodel or new construction) but they changed the design and couldn't use the new windows. good luck.

7. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If I make a frame and screw the plexiglass on one side, how do I brace the other side?

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is ok to leave the screwed plexiglass exposed on the other side.

If you have a router you could make it so the plexiglas is totally sandwiched between the two pieces of wood, which would eliminate having to drill the plexiglass (which should be done cautiously to avoid cracking), but honestly there is no big reason to have to do that for a chicken coop unless you are just bored [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The 1/4" plexi itself will be rigid enough to act as the bracing. Run a bead of caulk on the frame before screwing it to the frame, helps waterproof.

If it's thin plexi, frame both sides, caulk, screw the frames together with plexi in the sandwich.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You can try this site.
    I don't know how big a window you need but you can adjust the size to your needs..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by