window or not

My coop has three windows with solid window doors that can be fully opened or closed (North, South and West walls), along with two always open vents on North and South walls near the roof line.

During the day, two or three windows are open, at night just one window stays open (North side).

--Hugh

Besides ventilation issues, chickens love looking out windows! Mine look out the windows while eating out of their feeder. We call that corner the breakfast nook. When they're inside due to severe weather, they love looking out the windows, too. Windows also let in enough light that the coop isn't a dark hole at dusk, when the chickens are ready to go in for the night.

In my case, really large windows swing open in hot weather to make the coop more comfortable. I have other, smaller openings for ventilation in cold winter weather.

I like to have the window's top up near the ceiling - it's helpful for getting out the heat on a hot summer day. Our windows (we have FOUR) are big enough that the birds can see out of them when standing on the ground, too.

Ideally, get at least two and put them on opposite sides of the coop for a nice cross breeze.
smile.png

Here is the front of the main coop. There is also a window on one end at roost level as well. They have better windows in their coops than I have in my house. There are long ventilation openings over the windows at the top of the walls, too, though they are closed in the pic.

DCP_3868.jpg

Back
Top Bottom