Windows in a coop

cacklemama

Songster
Oct 11, 2017
Ocean county New Jersey
I'm adding 4 windows to my coop and would like to know how to keep the coop predator proof if the windows remain open at night with the screen. I'm thinking hardware cloth but how to attach it to the window so it remain functional. I'm mainly asking for the one window that faces my house. The others I will cover from the outside.

3 of the 4 windows are secured inside the my enclosed run (fence and canopy) refer to the picture. the 4th window, which faces the house, is only opened during the day. I am in the coop at least 2x a day, so it really isn't that big of a deal for us to open and close it.

Attachments

• chicken coop.jpg
    chicken coop.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 19
I'm adding 4 windows to my coop and would like to know how to keep the coop predator proof if the windows remain open at night with the screen. I'm thinking hardware cloth but how to attach it to the window so it remain functional. I'm mainly asking for the one window that faces my house. The others I will cover from the outside.
It depends on what kind of windows you buy or build.
I recommend top hinged windows that open outward to they can stay open all summer even thru rains...then you would attach HC on the inside.
I prop mine open all summer then cleat them shut from the outside in the winter.

I recommend top hinged windows that open outward to they can stay open all summer even thru rains...then you would attach HC on the inside.
I prop mine open all summer then cleat them shut from the outside in the winter.

Did you build the windows or repurpose some?
Do you have a close up photo of one?

JT

If you have something other than double hung windows, you can use a rod. I'm going to do as JT suggests and have mine sandwiched and hinged on top. Put a rod on the bottom, put the hardware cloth over the inside with the rod through it. Then you can adjust the window from the inside with the rod.

X2
20170805_193259.jpg

Not the best pic, but this shows my windows....hinged at top, held open by hook & eye. They are open almost 365 days a year.

Did you build the windows or repurpose some?
Do you have a close up photo of one?

JT
They are vinyl clad slider panels that were cleated into shed as static lights.
So the framing and sills were in place and sized.
I removed the stops and hinged them.
I don't think I have any detail pics of how exactly I did that,
and we are having a blizzard so not going to go out and take any ;),
some pics on My Coop page of the upper windows that open in.
Lower windows are much the same just that they open out.

Back
Top Bottom