wine for chickens?

6chickens in St. Charles

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
St. Charles, IL
Every night my DH dutifully pours me a glass of Aldi's Malbec red wine, I smile, take a few sips, take the glass with me to bed, fall asleep with a half glass of wine on my bedside table. In the morning, I pour the old half glass into the compost with kitchen scraps. I love my compost, it smells like a greenhouse.

The chickens work the compost like mad, they get TONS of grubby bug larvae out of there. The earthworms in it are as big and meaty as snakes LOL!

Does anybody think the old red wine could hurt the chickens? They are bantams. Sometimes little Rosie the tiny rosecomb hen looks a little tipsy.

After so long the alcohol will evaporate but the compost may be fermenting new swill and keeping the alcohol active depending on how deep it is. I had to be careful with drinks outside because my raccoon was a real lush and would polish off a brand new wine cooler in one drink. She also ate an entire 24x36 sheet cake that had inch thick frosting in one sitting. Poor raccoon, all those babies driving her to drink and overeat sweets.

Not sure about wine but mine are beer lushes. I guess I'm sick, because I let them drink a little out of my can. They don't get much, and never seem tipsy, but it doesn't appear to be hurting them either.

Bok or Bok Lite?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom