Wing bands

tntblake

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Wichita, Kansas
So I got some chicks today at the feed store and they all have these metal clips on their wings. How do I get them off without hurting the babies?

Last edited:
I got one to with a metal clip on it's wing, the breeder said I can leave it or take it off

Haven't tried yet..but thinking I should because, I would think that flashy piece of metal cries out..chase me and attack me..but would love to hear from others too
Congrats in your new babies

I read an article recently about turkeys, where several birds had been handed around until a curious owner looked at the arm bands and realized these birds were the last of its kind. They were adult turkeys apparently and the breeding was conclusively traced back to the breeder. They have been used to re-establish the breed.SOunds like the bands on wings can be left in place.

I wouldn't mind leaving the bands on, except they are red and on my barred rocks. I'm worrying this will encourage pecking in a bird breed that already has strong henpecking issues. Opinions please.

So I got some chicks today at the feed store and they all have these metal clips on their wings. How do I get them off without hurting the babies?

I am wondering the same thing, my 5 new babies have red bands on wings, I was worried since my chicken flock is all free range if it would hurt ability to fly?? I have all Banty game chickens that all sleep in trees, only time my chickens are caged is if we have babies. I just bought these 5 new pullets and two turkey's. Any advice on this or anything on Turkey's since I am a 1st timer with the turkey's 1st , is appreciated.

I have read that it's ok to leave them on permanently. However, when I went back to the store the next day to replace a chick that I lost over night, the employee there said he has had a couple with the bands in the wrong spot. They would have damaged their wing bone if left on. He showed me how easy they were to remove. Mine came from Atwoods. They had a point you bent up which released the two sides. Then he just slid it off. It was just as easy for me when I got home with my other chicks. My girls now have permanent holes in their wings, but it doesn't bother them at all, and you can't see it unless you are looking for it.

Back
Top Bottom