Wing clipping didn't work well. What to do?

Chick'nlove

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Please help. I have had a flock of 13 birds for one year. Three foot fence has worked just fine, as I clip one wing's flight feathers on each bird. I rescued two (also one year old) Americaunas last night, clipped them, and they flew directly to the top of the fence...For now I will confine them to the run/ henhouse, but how will I "unlearn" them about flying? Please advise. I want to keep them. Saved them from a well-meaining owner who didn't house them at night, and a fox dined on the sisters there.
sad.png

Last edited:
I have a six foot fence around my run and when I clipped one side they still had no problem hopping up on top and gliding down outside , so i clip both sides so then they hopped on top of the 4 ft high isolation pen and went over, now i have to keep netting over the top and it works pretty good but still clip there wings, other than a net over the top, not sure you can teach them to stay in the enclosure, but maybe someone will come along and help you better than I, Good luck, Sandy
Free Ranging is a pretty alluring taunt to a chicken sometimes they can be pretty good problem solvers when they want something bad enough. LOL

Last edited:
I would clip both wings. Keeping them inside for a bit to allow them to acclimate is also a good idea. Several of my birds are capable of getting that much height, and when they were young they would sometimes fly up and sit on top of the coop (about 8 ft) when something startled them. As they matured, and became more comfortable with their surroundings they've stopped that behavior. With rescues, you obviously don't know what their habits have been, but perhaps in time they'll calm down. They're probably catching flack from the existing flock right now, too, so maybe once all the dust settles so will they. Good luck.
Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I would quarantine these new birds for at least 30 days away from your flock. To make sure they are not sick. I would also clip both wings since it seems that they had to fly in their old home it is what they are used to. You might have to make a higher fence for them at least until they learn where home is. I have my run enclosed. I do have a 6 foot privacy fence they don't seem to be willing to fly over that or try to get out. Must like home. Good luck with your new chickens.

Thank you to all who responded. I didn't quarantine the two newbies, and I hope I am not sorry about that! The "old 13" are giving them some trouble, so I am continuing to let them free range in the yard, while the new two are confined to the coop/run. Perhaps I will have to keep them there indefinately. They are awfully sweet. I'll clip both wings when it's time for them to get back into the yard. I keep diotomaceous earth in a bin indoors for the dust bath, and include a 5% amount in the feed as well. This has worked beautifully to keep them pest free, inside and out. Hopefully my not quarantining them won't turn out badly. Thanks again.
smile.png
k

Last edited:
Don't clip BOTH the wings because they will still be able to fly. By clipping one wing, they are unbalanced and therefore unable to fly and they mostly just give up trying to hop the fence. If they are still flying well after you trim the one wing, maybe you didn't clip enough of the feathers. As a last resort if you absolutely can't cover the enclosure, you could tether them in the yard during the day (I have never done this, but this is how some people keep aggressive roosters separated). Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom