Wing clipping?? Fence Run height

Hennessee

Chirping
Mar 27, 2019
In my local ordinance, chickens are fine, but they can't run free. So, I am looking to fence an area for them. If I clip their wings, how high does the fence need to be?

I also agree, I wouldn’t clip wings. Unless you have one that you are having a constant problem with flying over. But generally no I wouldn’t clip unless absolutely necessary.

Besides my regular 6’ fence around the yard, I just have a temporary three foot picket fence that we can pick up and move around, and none of my girls ever tried to get out. They are perfectly content where they are.

But of course it always depends on the chickens, they are all different.

Hmmm.... I thought I was good with my heavy heritage breed gals and a 5 foot fence. Not....... several of them managed to fly up and over the fence to go walk about in the adjacent section of conservancy that’s home to all kinds of critters including coyotes. I ended up clipping one wing on the offenders for 2 or 3 seasons but since they reached 3+ years they stopped going over (always fun to have neighbors call to report chickens in their yard). I do have a fully covered run as well but the girls get out as much as possible depending on weather and predator activities. I think a 6 foot fence would have probably been sufficient but I’m not getting the entire back yard fence replaced

I also would not clip their wings... It would make it harder for them to get away from a would be predator. Amazon used to sell avian netting pretty reasonable, it's where I got mine.

Back
Top Bottom