Wing feathers curling in lavender orp.

Sweetchicks72

Chirping
5 Years
May 8, 2015
I'm brand spanking new to chickens! I've been raising chicks for about 8 weeks now. I have a 3 week old lavender Orpington we've named "fifty-fifty" I picked it up from a friend who bought 10 from a breeder. This little chick has weird wing feathers, they're not coming in straight or laying flat. Instead they are curled. Is this something anyone has seen before? Is it fixable, will s/he outgrow it? My friends lavenders are not showing any signs of this. I don't plan on breeding, just wanted eggs and "pets". But this chick is still so tiny I wasn't sure if the wing issue was indicative of an underlying problem. And if anyone has tips on sexing orpingtons I'd love to hear them! I have a blue and splash that are looking a tad different. TIA

what are you feeding the chick? I went to a cheap food for my 2nd batch of chicks and their feathers weren't looking so hot. I switched back to the purina chick feed and that helped. also do you just have chicks? our ducks would ruffle the chick feathers too. I have two lavender orpingtons and I love their color!

Almost looks like a Frizzle. If this chick is much smaller than the rest of the chicks the same age, it might be a bantam. As long it is a healthy and active chick, enjoy your little oddity. And blue birds will range from dark grey to steel blue. And the splash will range from light grey to white. A blue has a single dilute gene and a splash has two dilute genes. Post them on a gender thread when they are over four weeks old.

Yes just chicks. The same feed I've been feeding all along. Nutrena nature wise, Medicated crumbles. All 10 of my birds have been on it.

Fifty-fifty was with 2 bigger girls they were about 3 weeks older. I never saw them being mean to her but I suppose that could have happened. She used to stand underneath the taller black australorp now that I think about it. Maybe that has something to do with this? I moved the bigger girls out to the coop recently and fifty-fifty got 2 new orps friends who are the same age as her--not related. Their wing feathers look perfect.

Yes just chicks. The same feed I've been feeding all along. Nutrena nature wise, Medicated crumbles. All 10 of my birds have been on it.

Fifty-fifty was with 2 bigger girls they were about 3 weeks older. I never saw them being mean to her but I suppose that could have happened. She used to stand underneath the taller black australorp now that I think about it. Maybe that has something to do with this? I moved the bigger girls out to the coop recently and fifty-fifty got 2 new orps friends who are the same age as her--not related. Their wing feathers look perfect.

She should b good then. My lavenders have fluffy feathers and the rest of my flock has reg feathers. So it could be the lighter feathers making her look that way.

Back
Top Bottom