Wing injury. Dislocated? Broken? Urgent!

Someone help me.
I’m soo mad at my rooster right now:mad:
A leghorn cockerel lives in the same coop as my rooster. Normally I don’t put males together, but since the guineas in the other one don’t get along with the cockerel, I put him in with my rooster. Bad idea. They got along till now, and ironically, I was going to take him out in a few days.
I found him hiding in a corner of the coop, all bloody and scared out of his wits. Normally he hates me, but he barely protested when I picked him up. His comb is ripped up, his wing dangles and makes a grinding noise when I move it, and he seems like he’s in shock and doesn’t want to stand.
I know my rooster did it because he has blood on his beak.
How do I know if the cockerels wing is broken or dislocated? What can I do? I’m seriously so stressed out. To many problems.
View attachment 2183445View attachment 2183446
Please help me.
@Eggcessive @Kiki @aart @casportpony @Wyorp Rock @Miss Lydia
On line it says to fold the wing back to its body and wrap it so it is secure. So it is in the natural position. Hope that helps

Sounds like you already have....and that's fine as there was not much you could do.
Can he move the wing?
Is he eating/drinking/pooping/moving around ok?
Yeah.... :D
He can move the wing, and uses it a bit. He acts totally normal other that not fully using the wing. You’d never know anything happened unless you saw him flutter up to the roost.

So, I never got around to calling the vet:barnie
I’ve been ridiculously busy. However, the swelling has gotten much smaller. It’s very small now. Should I leave it alone, and see how it goes? Also, I haven’t been bandaging it lately, he holds it in a pretty normal position now( he’s also really good at getting it off:rolleyes: ) Is that fine? I don’t think I can take him to the vet, I can’t spend too much money on a chicken. I would if I could, and I’m very fond of all my chickens, but they’re for profit, so spending more money than I make doesn’t work for me. Thank you all in advance.
Sounds like he's healing. I think I would just keep doing what you have been and see what happens.

So, I had to rehome my cockerel. He was crowing a lot, and I have an elderly neighbor close to the coop, and I felt bad. There was practically no swelling anymore, and he started to use his wing again. He’s now free ranging on horse pastures. I’m sad to see him go, but it’s for the best. Thank you all for your advice!

So, I had to rehome my cockerel. He was crowing a lot, and I have an elderly neighbor close to the coop, and I felt bad. There was practically no swelling anymore, and he started to use his wing again. He’s now free ranging on horse pastures. I’m sad to see him go, but it’s for the best. Thank you all for your advice!
I'm glad to hear he was recovering. Sad to hear that you had to re-home him, but free ranging horse pastures sounds like a nice place for him,
Thank you for the update.

No problem!
Yeah, horse pastures are an improvement because I had to set up a temporary housing to keep him separate from my rooster. The lady I sold him to was experienced with chickens. She took in about 20 of my other cockerels too lol :D

Back
Top Bottom