[wing injury] f****** dog

Vata Raven

Songster
Feb 15, 2023
I wasn't even gone for 5 minutes. I pull into my driveway and see a chicken running across the yard. Knowing that wasn't normal, I ran to their area, and chased off the dog.

I took an hour to find all 20, but I found them all alive, so that's good.

Sadly, one ran to the garage for cover (poor baby girl). After the dog ran off, I noticed her left shoulder dip when she flapped the wing, so I know it's injured.

I didn't observe them after I gathered them up into their coop because I just wanted to get them safe and give them the rest they needed. I plan to watch them closely in the AM to watch for more injuries.

Can I do anything for the wing, or do I just allow her wing to heal without assistance?

Thank you for your time and help.

Have you checked to make sure the wing is not bleeding or any bones broken or exposed?

Once you check to determine nothing is protruding through the skin and she's not bleeding, have looked her over for other injuries and find none, then I'd leave the wing and see how she does over the next couple of days. Sometimes a sprain can take a few days to improve.

Have you checked to make sure the wing is not bleeding or any bones broken or exposed?
I will in the AM, but from a quick look-over, I didn't notice any blood or exposed bones on any of them.

I saw a lot of feathers, so the dog may have gotten a hold of some of their tails.

I put in a packet of that sav-a-chick electrolyte and vitamin powder to help with the stress in the AM.

OK
Usually if there's been some type of attack with feathers missing and scattered all over the place, I check birds immediately just to make sure there's no wounds that need to be cleaned out and treated.

OK
Usually if there's been some type of attack with feathers missing and scattered all over the place, I check birds immediately just to make sure there's no wounds that need to be cleaned out and treated.
I'll look, thank you

I don't want to chase them down to check, but I think if they need the help, I hope the chicken will let me hold it and check.

They're up around 6 to 7am, so I'll do my best then.

I walked in after midnight, I think the 2 that got injured were laying in another corner from the rest of the flock.

The RIR didn't want to be held (good sign maybe), but her feathers around the chest felt wet. The dog may have gotten hold of her. I tired holding her, she flapped her wing just fine. The plymouth let me hold her (not unusual), but nothing seemed off. But I feel these 2 isolated themselves for a reason?

Will get a better look at their conditions when I bring them food. They're scared, gotten tail feathers ripped out, and nearly died. I'm sure they just want a safe place to sleep and recover from the trauma.

No bones appeared broken. No blood either. Will watch them and their actions when I bring them their food. I will watch them as long as I must to make sure I can do what I can do for my chicken children.

We had a dog attack and weren't so lucky. However we did have 2 hens that escaped but with some obvious signs of a struggle. One had a bare spot on her left leg quarter behind where she was missing feathers. She never had any problem with the flock.

The second was one of our 'tamed' hens that like to be petted. She came back around dusk and was barely walking. Her wing was hurt and she was in pretty bad condition. I mistakenly put her on the roost with the other girls. The next morning we found her beaten up even worse by her flock mates. So in addition to her wing and attack to her vent, she now had many missing feathers and bleeding on her back. We isolated her immediately. Slowly she regained her feathers and went from sitting on the floor to roosting on a rod. Then she finally laid an egg again about 3 weeks or so later. We put her back with the flock after she proved that she was well and has joined the flock as a mid tier hen. She's not the highest but definitely no where near the lowest.

Sometimes they just need time to recover without the stress of their flock mates trying to kill them. Chickens are brutal when they sense one of theirs needs removing. I suggest creating a decent area for your chicken to recover before joining her flock again. If you do that, then chances are.... she'll make it just fine.

Sometimes they just need time to recover without the stress of their flock mates trying to kill them. Chickens are brutal when they sense one of theirs needs removing. I suggest creating a decent area for your chicken to recover before joining her flock again. If you do that, then chances are.... she'll make it just fine.
I'll have to check in the AM again

Today will just be a day I deprive myself of sleep (I work nights). I guess the injury wound be in the vent/tail area?

I was impressed how well they hid. 3 of my RIRs covered the injured plymouth to make her blend with the dirt. Many hid in a pile of tree branches. 1 behind the AC unit, another hid in a pile of leaves, one ran under a tree at the edge of the yard, and 2 found a old animal hole.

Back
Top Bottom