wings too heavy??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    ive noticed lately that my muscovy drake Goonie hs been holding his wings weird.
    its almost as if they are to big / heavy for him, he has them so that they are kinda half hanging.
    What could be the problem?

2. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Is Goonie fully fledged yet? Based on the book I'm reading right now (The Domestic Duck) he might have "dropped wing" which is caused by the weight of blood quills being too heavy for his muscles. Dropped wing usually fixes itself as the muscles strengthen but can be helped by taping up the wings.

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    He is about three months old, fully feathered and everything. Ill post a picture I took about an hour ago once it is done loading . I mean he still walks/ runs/ waddles alright all over the place. Its just like he doesnt seem to be very interested in attempting to fly or trying his wings out - the female I got from the same batch is already flying around the barn.

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

Thats how he holds his wings all the time.

5. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:One of my male muscovies that I held back for future breeding had a drooping wing at that age, as did a male flying mallard mallard. The problem went away in time with no intervention.

6. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
  7. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Quote:Nice shot at catching a pooing duck in action!

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

both my geese did this when their wings really started gaining some weight. They would lay a lot with their wings laying on the ground. if you watch him enough do you see that he puts him back in place?

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My Scovy girl Kahlua had the same thing going on when she was about that age... she just looked droopy all the time and i also thought she was "broken", lol. It fixed itself and she's perfect now [​IMG]

I think her new feathers were just too heavy for her still-baby wings.

heres some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by