Winter Advice For Duck Pond - Please Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ourlittleflock, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Winter is around the corner - this will be my first winter with ducks.. I need to know how you keep the duck ponds unfrozen during the winter, I am in NC so we do get some freezing temps.

I will post some pics so you can see our set-up. I know for the outside of the kennel I will be putting a clear coroplast material to keep the air out but will allow sunlight in for warmth.

here is the setup - (pics are older.... pen wasn't quite ready for the ducks)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and last you can see the coop enclosed with the clear coroplast, it actually keeps it warmer inside
    pic was during snow storm - which we rarely see!!
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Hi ourlittleflock, look up pond heaters on line and good luck. I usually just empty the largest pond[stock tank] and on days when it does get above freezing give them smaller tubs to wash in that I can just dump out in the eve. since it's pretty nasty by then anyway.. [​IMG] also stock tank heaters.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    At our feed store you can either get one that floats or sticks to the side of the tank. Make sure you get one that's made for the actual tank itself!
    Last year I got a heater that sticks on the side and it was for a metal tank and I had a big rubber tank. *Sigh*
    It had a HUGE hole in it the next morning and of course I put it close to the bottom (the directions said too.) [​IMG]

Oh well. You learn from your mistakes. [​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They don't really need a pond as long as they have enough water to dunk their heads. Mine only get to swim during the periods when the weather isn't freezing.

Even where I am, which is a lot colder than where you are, water isn't frozen solid for the entire winter.

Be careful about electric cords. Ducks are nibblers, so you must be certain that they have no access to the electrical cord in any way.

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Be careful with stock tank heaters. Make sure they do not get hot enough to burn the ducks. Bucket heaters are very dangerous too. I like bird bath heaters, but my pool is a shallow in for the winter. Easier to dump and refill in cold weather.
    Really nice duck pen!

6. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks guys - so they really need something just to blow nose bubbles in on very cold days - freezing temps right????

I can give them swimming water on non-freezing days...

7. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    If you have concerns about them getting burned or nibbling at the cord, I would just monitor their daily swim. Let them swim while you do chores. Pull the heater out first after it is unplugged, let them swim for a bit them cover the tank back up. I keep a plywood board over mine and they stand on it because they like the heat coming up from the water.
    I have a tank like that and have to keep it covered lest the chickens fall in. They do fine on a short swim each day.

8. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Nice set-up. What is that around the pond?

I am new to ducks, but I would also just drain in freezing weather. Lots of risks with heaters!

9. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    TSC and even Wal-Mart sell heated water buckets and bowls. They are very safe and come with a thermostat. It comes on at freezing temps and shuts off when it warms up. I have a bowl for my dogs. It basically refills itself all winter when the snow falls in and melts. I'll probably get a heated bucket for the ducks this year in addition to a black rubber tank for swimming when it's not frozen.

10. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I have a 270 gal pond and we get temps down to -20 degres. NO ice at all. ,. the ducks spent alot of time in the water, they also have acess to a heated hut but showed no interst.. I enclose my pen with plexiglss and plastic and the pond is protected .

and this does have a guard so the ducks cant touch the heating element and sits on the bottom

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by