Winter Advice For Duck Pond - Please Help

Another option you could try instead of the heating elements, is just a pump or aerator. I haven't used this on the duck pond yet, just the 100 gal plastic molded fish pond. It has keep the fish pond open thru the last two winters here in PA. I disconnect the submersible pump from the filter and spitter (bring those in so they don't freeze) and just have the pump sitting on the bottom moving the water straight up. It keeps a nice size hole open and I just go out and knock the rest of the ice off the top. The other option is an air pump (made for outdoors). That sits outside of pond and pumps air via a tube into the pond to keep the water moving. I too was afraid of the heating element with the plastic pond and fish... Also found out that most pumps use less electricity than some of the heating elements (keeps DH happy!).

I live in North Georgia so have similar temps. I watch the weather and if their is going to be temps below 30 for more than and hour or two I dump my pools at night and refill in morning, it doesn't freeze even if cold in daytime as they are in and out too much. FWIW

Back
Top Bottom