winter blast is here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brinda t, Nov 24, 2013.

1. brinda t

brinda t Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Celina Texas
    I live in North Central Texas. On Thursday it was 72 degrees, today it's 25 degrees in my non insulated well vented coop. I have a brooding silkie sitting on a clutch of eggs, 4, 8 week old easter Eggers and 6 adult chickens in my coop. It's going to be below freezing at night for the next 3 or 4 days. My question is should I add a heat lamp at night? I can put it on a timer.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The chickens don't need supplemental heat. After all, when would you stop supplying it? This morning it was 30 degrees F, and they were all champing at the bit to get out to forage. Chickens have these built-in down comforters that we would all love to have on our beds.

Mine have done just fine the past couple of years with whatever temperature befalls us. They eat more when it is in the 20s, but they are just as active.

Chris

3. 30 my Friend is quite balmy air temps, chilly yes but real cold, dream on.
    I know you get colder in January.
    You know on Saturday morning it was quite cold here, infact much colder than normal, about 12 below. I let the birds out, it warmed to 0 in about 2 hours, but none of the birds with big combs got any frostbite or anything, as it was quite dry.
    i did not think about this until today, it was close to 30f here today. Chickens can handle a lot, if they are in a decent building with good air and not overly humid conditions...

4. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Brinda, there are folks here who live in Canada and do not provide heat for their birds. Do not worry about it.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just make sure they are protected from any cold winds blowing on the roost and broody and the others have a place to get out of the wind.

6. brinda t

brinda t Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Celina Texas
    Thanks you guys! I did not give them heat and they are all alive and well! Even the babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by