Winter brooding

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Ok.....I've hatched MANY chicks, but I've never done it in the winter. I am in NW Georgia, so everyone will have an idea of the weather here. I was able to obtain a breeding trio via the Ohio Nationals of some very fine LF Columbian Rocks and I want to insure that the bloodline is maintain should something (God forbid) happen to the parent stock. Thus the reason for incubating this time of year....

I have a 3' x 5' enclosed brooder, plexiglass over 1/2 of the top, wire and heat lamp for other 1/2. Now, due to allergies, I can no longer brood in the basement....too much dander/dust gets into the house and my entire family has allergies and/or asthma, so the brooder will have to be outside, under the screened porch (out of any rain).

Has anyone ever brooded outdoors in the winter and do you have any suggestions/tips for the best chances of success? Things to avoid?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Scott

hi scott, i have chicks in the brooder now. the best thing i can advise is hooking up a backup heat lamp. on a thermostat. should the heat lamp burn out. something i need to do asap. mine are going on three weeks old and the lowest temp inside was 70 and outside 13 degrees. early morning check. they were all running around and happy. they should do fine.....

I have 31 RIR chicks in the brooder now. They where hatched December 11-13. Will probably move them outside when they are 2 mos old. I'm in Nashville by the way.

Back
Top Bottom