Winter Care for Naked Necks

Ilovemyladies!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Hills of Kentucky
I am wondering what I could do to help my Naked Neck hen in the winter. I know this sounds funny but could I make a little "scarf" for her?

-Shannon
smile.png

Actually it sounds kinda cute! But I don't think you'll need to do anything. How cold does it get there? I have 3 Naked Necks and this past winter they did just as well in the snow as anyone else. We had a couple stretches of below freezing for days/single digits at night (a little colder than usual here) and they were just as likely to get our and forage as anyone else. None of them wanted to come out when the snow was solid on the ground, but as soon as it started breaking up everyone was out running around. The Naked Necks didn't even seem to scrunch up their shoulders or tuck under their wings like you'd expect if they felt cold. They're tough little chickens!

First thing I thought of when I saw this topic title was knitting little baby-sock cuffs for them and slipping them over their heads.

Probably a really bad idea for a lot of reasons, strangling not being the least of them.

Okay, I got nothin'. But- I want pictures, whatever you do!

I thought about getting my sister to knit mine little neck warmers, like mini leg warmers
smile.png
But, as the previous poster mentioned, it might be with disastrous results
sad.png
I've read that they are very cold tolerant so I am hoping that is the case. I am planning on having heat lamps running for the coldest days and nights...

I had a couple of naked necks ordered for last summer, but the breeder had a problem with his roo, so I wasn't able to get them. I did alot of research though, and the breeder lives north of me, and our winters are much more severe than what you have.

They are also listed as cold hardy.

I think the skin on their necks is different than combs and wattles, and not as easily frostbitten. I'm sure that tucking their heads down at night helps a lot.

Mine thrived through temperatures of 0 Fahrenheit and below last year. Keep them well fed and provide shelter from the elements and they are absolutely hardy.

Back
Top Bottom