Winter chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coupe, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I have 6, 5 week old chicks right now. They are inside my house but are getting to big for my brooder. I have an empty rabbit hutch outside that will fit them perfectly right now..but im in NY and it is in the 20's at night..i dont use extra heat for my chickens during the winter, mainly because i dont have electric in the coop and im not running an extension cord. The chickens have always been fine without.
    What age for chicks is ok to be put outside in winter? I plan on keeping them indoors for another couple weeks..im just worried its to cold out now for them..im scared that if i put them in the rabbit hutch with a lamp itll catch fire...
    I should of thought about this before i hatched eggs in winter for the first time! But my excitment got the best of me!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Once chicks are fully featured they can regulate their body heat pretty well. You should gradually wean them off the heat and get them used to colder temps now. You can start by leaving the heat lamp off during the day, then moving them outside during the day for short periods, checking when they show signs of being too cold (they'll huddle together) and eventually leave them outside all day and bringing them in at night. By the time they are around 8 weeks old they should be O.k. outside overnight in a dry, draught-free coop.

3. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    They are weaned off the light..i took it off completly on friday and they are fine..my house is pretty cold all the time. I will start putting them outside for an hour or 2 durring the day and keep an eye on them. Ill start making adjustments to the rabbit hutch for them..Its already covered on 3 sides so it should be ok for them. Thanks for the info..i was dreading even trying to get them out there. But i feel better now :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by