winter cochins?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickalator, Dec 22, 2008.

1. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    does anybody have cochins that keep going during winter?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We had Bantam Mottled Cochins last winter.

They began laying in October '07, at 19 weeks old, and laid all winter except for when they went broody.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have quite a few and this will be the second hard winter for some of them, they do just fine in subzero temps as long as they are in a draft free and dry coop that is well ventilated. I do add a heatlamp or in this case today 2 heatlamps because the temps with windchills are -35 below. If they get cold out in their covered run (no heat) they retreat to the coop under the heat lamps.

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have two 7-8 month old Cochins, 1 was laying for a month or so, but I think she quit during the first cold snap. I am pretty sure none of the eggs I still get are hers and I haven't seen her in the nesting boxes. They are both doing fine in the cold weather though, I think the extra feathers help.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Cochins lay eggs?!?

Someone better tell mine that.

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Mine didnt start laying til she was over 7 months old. The second one never started. I am hoping they lay better come Spring. My buff was laying almost every day before it got cold. I am planning on getting 8-10 more Cochins this Spring, so hope they do ok.

7. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My cochin is laying after a 20 day break from going broody and being broken out of being broody. Despite all the literature, she's really a good little layer, if I can keep her out of the nest box and off the eggs! HA![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by