Winter coop numbers question

CharlieCrawford

In the Brooder
May 27, 2020
Hi, I live in Montana and we’ve already had a week where highs were only in the teens, and nights are well below freezing consistently now. And real winter isn’t here yet. I (had) 4 chickens. A bantam got very ill a month ago and although she survived, she weighs 1lb and can’t stay warm enough to sleep in the coop at night and stays on a heated porch. Today one of my two Buff Orpington died from sudden death syndrome. I know have an Olandsk Dwarf who sleeps in a nest box with straw, and another 8 month old Orpington. They have a double walled snap-lock house inside of a completely enclosed run with metal roof. I’ve used corrugated green house sheets on the outside of the run walls to block wind, but allow the sun to come through. Proper ventilation of course. It’s going to get stupid cold here soon and my question is, can they make it alone at night? The Buff roosts and the Olandsk lies down. Before today, the two Buffs huddled together for heat. Before this drama, I figured with four of them, body heat would help keep the space “comfortable”. Do I try and find a couple more hens? Can I even do a slow introduction in time? It’s Montana, winter weather changes incredibly fast here and it’s not uncommon to have a month or two where we are below freezing, or below zero, day and night. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Proper ventilation of course.
I figured with four of them, body heat would help keep the space “comfortable”.
With proper ventilation, a coop won't 'hold heat'.
And most the heat generated by the birds is kept next to their bodies by their feathers,
that's what keeps them warm.

They have a double walled snap-lock house inside of a completely enclosed run with metal roof.
Post pics please, inside and outside coop and run.
Are run walls open or 'winterized' to block wind and snow?

And most the heat generated by the birds is kept next to their bodies by their feathers,

This is a pic from summer. It was still too darkish when I left for work this morning to get a pic. This is without the plastic up on the walls. When I said proper ventilation, I meant of the run. Helps keep the dust down. No coop pics unfortunately, but is the smaller of the formex snap-lock houses. Thanks!

Attachments

• 493CAEAE-8C49-452B-96B3-63BB677E0E55.jpeg
    493CAEAE-8C49-452B-96B3-63BB677E0E55.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 059F58C4-C49C-415F-AF96-1DE49C856B6A.jpeg
    059F58C4-C49C-415F-AF96-1DE49C856B6A.jpeg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom