winter coop prepartions

deltathechicken

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022
central IL
This will be my first upcoming winter with my 4 orpington chickens. I was wondering what to do for winter with my coop and run.
My coop is pre made coop it has a window but only two slots with wire mesh and the roost bars are not high up off the floor of the coop. The run is partially covered with a tarp but there no support to keep it from sagging with rain. Should I add roof to the run? the Run is 9 by 12 feet chicken wire but i still need to predator proof with hardware cloth

Attachments

• chicken coop.jpg
    chicken coop.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 37
My coop is pre made coop it has a window but only two slots with wire mesh
The window is not quite adequate. Ideally, you'll want 1 square foot of ventilation for each chicken. If I were you, I'd add vents up high, under the apex of the roofline - 2 square feet on each end. Then fix something weatherproof over the window so you can close it off in cold weather, to keep drafts off the chickens, like stapled clear plastic or Plexiglas. Maybe attach this to a framework and hinges that you can raise & lower as needed with weather. Leave the upper vents open.

and the roost bars are not high up off the floor of the coop.
Yes, they do look low to the floor. Your birds would appreciate if you would raise them up, or add another (18" away from the one below). Heat rises, so they'd be more comfortable. But keep them below the upper vents, and probably below that open part of the window, too.

The run is partially covered with a tarp but there no support to keep it from sagging with rain. Should I add roof to the run?
Consider raising one end or lowering the other, so that rain runs off one end. A roof would be great at keeping the run drier, but it's not necessary. Many folks use mulch, wood chips, leaf matter and so on to keep the run drier and chickens out of the mud. Check to be sure you have adequate runoff, so rain doesn't puddle.

Oh, and welcome to BYC! Glad you posted. Hopefully others will pop in with tips and ideas, too.

The window is not quite adequate. Ideally, you'll want 1 square foot of ventilation for each chicken. If I were you, I'd add vents up high, under the apex of the roofline - 2 square feet on each end. Then fix something weatherproof over the window so you can close it off in cold weather, to keep drafts off the chickens, like stapled clear plastic or Plexiglas. Maybe attach this to a framework and hinges that you can raise & lower as needed with weather. Leave the upper vents open.

Yes, they do look low to the floor. Your birds would appreciate if you would raise them up, or add another (18" away from the one below). Heat rises, so they'd be more comfortable. But keep them below the upper vents, and probably below that open part of the window, too.

Consider raising one end or lowering the other, so that rain runs off one end. A roof would be great at keeping the run drier, but it's not necessary. Many folks use mulch, wood chips, leaf matter and so on to keep the run drier and chickens out of the mud. Check to be sure you have adequate runoff, so rain doesn't puddle.

Oh, and welcome to BYC! Glad you posted. Hopefully others will pop in with tips and ideas, too
I rose one of the bars but unfortunately the bars are not long enough to put under the window. would it be fine to still but the ventilation above the bar ?

Attachments

• 20220910_093623.jpg
    20220910_093623.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 20
I rose one of the bars but unfortunately the bars are not long enough to put under the window. would it be fine to still but the ventilation above the bar ?
Sorry I was unclear. I didn't mean for the roost to go below the window, just that wherever you place it, the height of the bar should be below the level of the open upper part of the window - to prevent drafts from that window coming up underneath them. Yes, do add ventilation well above the bar - high up, under the apex of where the rooflines come together.

See, the science is this: Chickens produce a lot of moisture. The coop needs to stay as dry as possible because too much humidity actually makes the chickens colder. If they stay dry, they stay warm as long as there is not a draft blowing on them. Besides the buildup of ammonia fumes from their manure, which can cause respiratory issues. So...

Also, heat rises. Unless your door(s) to the coop are completely airtight, and that window isn't sealed shut all the way, there will be a bit of air coming in through those areas. That's ok - you want a LITTLE of that. As heat rises, it will pull the moist air inside up and out through the upper vents. It sounds counter-productive, but it works to keep the birds dry, and therefore, warm. You just don't want that drafty air blowing under or on the chickens. Above their heads, good! Under their bottoms, no! Make sense?

Sorry I was unclear. I didn't mean for the roost to go below the window, just that wherever you place it, the height of the bar should be below the level of the open upper part of the window - to prevent drafts from that window coming up underneath them. Yes, do add ventilation well above the bar - high up, under the apex of where the rooflines come together.

See, the science is this: Chickens produce a lot of moisture. The coop needs to stay as dry as possible because too much humidity actually makes the chickens colder. If they stay dry, they stay warm as long as there is not a draft blowing on them. Besides the buildup of ammonia fumes from their manure, which can cause respiratory issues. So...

Also, heat rises. Unless your door(s) to the coop are completely airtight, and that window isn't sealed shut all the way, there will be a bit of air coming in through those areas. That's ok - you want a LITTLE of that. As heat rises, it will pull the moist air inside up and out through the upper vents. It sounds counter-productive, but it works to keep the birds dry, and therefore, warm. You just don't want that drafty air blowing under or on the chickens. Above their heads, good! Under their bottoms, no! Make sense?
yes it does make sense, I was also wondering what do i use on the window frame when I hang the cover over the window to keep it open in the summer? I know hinges hold it on.

It doesn't have to be hinged, although that is probably the most common DIY idea. but you could do anything, really - even just staple some heavy duty plastic over the open part. Here are some ideas, just images I googled:

By CherylK
1662853509853.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-coop-8.53100/
by @Average_Gringo :
1662854966418.png

http://quonfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/time-to-join-chicken-bandwagon-part-2.html
1662853737399.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chrissys-cozy-cottage-coop.66516/
by @richards5
1662854478357.png

Back
Top Bottom