Winter duck pond

EriCavanagh

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2020
Hi! We have four ducks that are not yet laying, about four months old. They were raised with our 12 chickens and were transitioned to the coop nicely until they took to our pond. I was over joyed until it was time to get them back in the coop. Getting them off the pond is near impossible in the evening. They have been doing fine but it is getting colder now and I am afraid they’ll start to lose feet if I don’t get them back in the coop at night. I put out a duck house filled with wood flakes but I am unsure if they are using it at all and it is not predator proof like our coop. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If it was smaller, I was going to suggest bird netting to keep them out. Is there any way you could scare them to shore from the opposite side where coop is located?? Maybe a moderate volume firework would work? :idunno Worth a try.
On a side-note, ducks are suited to swim in cold water, and are well insulated. Soon the pond will freeze over, and problem somewhat solved. I only suspect a problem ,,,,should the pond not be frozen over yet, and extreme colds arrived. Then the wet feet on cold ground could become worrisome.
Another option to chase ducks off pond would be dragging a light rope, with some empty gallon milk jugs as floats. Would be a 2 person operation with rope somewhat longer than pond width.

The rope idea is good, thanks! We have a bubbler that I have been keeping going because I was nervous the pond would freeze with them in it, silly? When we come out in the morning they are swimming and don’t come out of the water till the edges ice melts. I’m going to try the rope thing and hopefully get them in the coop till the pond freezes and then be done worrying about it. Our weather is all over the place rn though. Fluctuates from 50’s to 20’s so I’m sure it will be ongoing for a bit. Was thinking of getting a small gate and put it in the coop so I can corral them and then open the gate and close the door after the hens come in so I’m not chasing the ducks at night lol. We’ll see! Thanks again!

Im in Wisconsin my ducks will go in their pool if its 0 out they were fine last winter even when it got -10. I have a heater for their kiddy pool. They are hardy little things
This is an old post, so you may not see this, but how do you heat your kiddy pool? I was thinking of using a bucket warmer (it has a wand shape).

This is an old post, so you may not see this, but how do you heat your kiddy pool? I was thinking of using a bucket warmer (it has a wand shape).
There are all types of warmers out on the market to keep your kiddy pool from freezing. You just need to pick one that works best for you in your conditions. :)

Back
Top Bottom