WINTER DUCKS

AshleyNicole06

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 19, 2017
Iowa
I was wondering what you all do for your ducks in the winter?
I have 3 ducks (7 months old)
What kind of shelter do you use? We have a small house for them with straw, but they would rather sleep in the grass.. in the cold wind and everything. (Yes they know it’s there) :)
Do you change their diet in the winter? Do you give them more corn than food? My ducks would rather have corn.. they don’t eat the normal stuff real well anymore!
Are they going to be okay in the winter? Are they going to freeze?

I wouldn't give them too much corn. It should be more of a treat as too much can make them fat. If they are hungry enough they will eat their regular feed. I feed mine the same thing all year.

Ducks are pretty cold harder. Most days mine are out while the chickens are being babies and not coming out of the coop. If they are safe from predators in the grass then let them be. You could try putting up some kind of wind break to give them a spot outside that is out of the wind. Some stacked up straw bales or something like that.

I wouldn't give them too much corn. It should be more of a treat as too much can make them fat. If they are hungry enough they will eat their regular feed. I feed mine the same thing all year.

Ducks are pretty cold harder. Most days mine are out while the chickens are being babies and not coming out of the coop. If they are safe from predators in the grass then let them be. You could try putting up some kind of wind break to give them a spot outside that is out of the wind. Some stacked up straw bales or something like that.
Okay! I just don’t want them to freeze! Thank you!

They do have a house they go in sometimes. But rarely sleep in it at night. I’m afraid they’ll feeeze when snow comes! :(

At my old place, mine preferred to sleep out in the run too. At first I would herd them into the coop but after a while I decided to let them be. As long as they are out of the wind they should be fine. Their down and feathers trap warm air against their bodies to keep them warm. The wind prevents that so that's why you want to block it.

My Drake's sleep outside in the summer months and would probably sleep outside in the winter too but when it starts to drop below 10 degrees c I put them in their coop (a standard 4 x 6 garden shed) and lock them in with a small bowl of water and food.

They usually go to bed about an hour after dusk (they are in a secure cage from duck time) and get up about 7. They've been fine with this routine for 4 years

Back
Top Bottom