Winter egg laying

Do you see a significant decrease in eggs in the winter?

• Yes

Votes: 148 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 47 24.1%

• Total voters
Pics
pullets that start laying in the Summer to fall will usually continue laying the first winter. They will slow down and stop at their first molt the next winter. Rarely some will continue laying eggs through a molt but that is not normal

Supplemental lighting will keep them laying during the second winter and some breeds will lay more eggs during low daylight times of the year.

pullets that start laying in the Summer to fall will usually continue laying the first winter. They will slow down and stop at their first molt the next winter. Rarely some will continue laying eggs through a molt but that is not normal

Supplemental lighting will keep them laying during the second winter and some breeds will lay more eggs during low daylight times of the year.
My RSL are a year old and they are still laying, I see why they don't live long. The others are new to laying, they all started in the summer. I added 4 chicks today (5 weeks) to the layer flock so I'll have new layers in the spring. Integration went too well. Thought the Jersey Giant Cockerels would be mean, but they walked over to them and walked away. They even shared their scraps with them today.

Thanks for the information! I figure if I keep adding every winter, I'll always have layers the next winter.

Last edited:
I thought my girls had slowed down significantly, for over a week I didn't get any eggs, but then...

Found a nest of about 30 eggs, chicken and duck, tucked away between the wall and a straw bale under our deck. :thApparently they thought it would be a good idea to increase their numbers!
:lau imagine if you didn't find them :th

You'd have an army!

I don't use supplemental lighting either. Some of my girls lay all winter (the Sapphire Gems, for example) and others won't produce an egg until spring (Buff Orpington, Faverolles, Cochin Bantams, Wyandotte and Iowa Blues). My spring EE pullets are producing -- one nearly every day -- and two of my spring Buckeyes are laying three or four times a week. In other words, I am still giving eggs to everyone I know and eating a lot of omelets myself. My six female runner ducks won't lay again until spring, nor will the Buff geese.

I have a muscovy and 2 Pekins I'm waiting for eggs from. I do have a Pekin Drake.

I don't thing my red sex links have missed a day since I got them in the spring. I wish they'd take a break, but they're made to lay eggs and that's it.

My Cochins just started laying last month, I actually hatched some and I'm obsessed with the chicks.

We are giving away eggs all the time and now everyone wants more! I am adding 8 more so in the spring we will get about 16 eggs a day.

Back
Top Bottom