Winter eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by burntmuch, Dec 28, 2010.

1. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    My hens dont get to free range like they did before the snow . So their eating mostly feed. Their eggs change a bit. the yolks werent as dark. Ive been giving them alfalfa pellets soaked in warm water. Thats darkened up the yolks a bit, but what Im wondering is are the eggs their laying now as healthy as the summer eggs. If not what can I do to make them healthier. I read that flax seed is good for that or fish oil. How much do I give

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

ummmmmmm I really cannot tell any difference in winter verses summer eggs, I am still surprised I get as many eggs as I do right now..........sorry I can't help

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Yes winter eggs just don't have that same deep rich flavor. Let's face it, that is a great deal of our motive for keeping chickens! I am on my last bag of frozen pumpkin chunks/guts, and no one has gone hunting and brought home anything, so our eggs taste like store bought.

The "powers that be" claim they all have the same nutritional content. I guess they mean protein/carb ratio or whatever. Just don't taste the same [​IMG]

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Considering the same products aren't going into the eggs, the nutrition is somewhat DIFFERENT, but not any less healthy. As long as they're organic, eggs are eggs.

5. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    wood&feathers :

Yes winter eggs just don't have that same deep rich flavor. Let's face it, that is a great deal of our motive for keeping chickens! I am on my last bag of frozen pumpkin chunks/guts, and no one has gone hunting and brought home anything, so our eggs taste like store bought.

The "powers that be" claim they all have the same nutritional content. I guess they mean protein/carb ratio or whatever. Just don't taste the same [​IMG]

Agreed! That rich flavor seems to be lacking and I think its from the lack of grasses/greenery they consume [​IMG] I try to substitute w/broccoli, kale, etc but they just don't get enough to make a difference in the eggs. Oh well, I guess its just ANOTHER reason why I hate winter so much [​IMG]

6. outdoorzgirl

outdoorzgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Lexington, NC
    Here is an interesting article regarding nutritional content of store bought eggs versus pasture fed chickens. It only makes sense that the yolks would be less rich and tasty when they are fed mostly feed. My girls love clover, but my yard is covered in snow right now. I have been trying to give them broccoli, kale, and other greens..but they must be spoiled because they don't really seem to want to eat any of it. I think I am going to stop by the feed store today to buy alfalfa pellets. I can't wait till Spring. I have had enough of this cold weather. [​IMG]

http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/re...ed-chickens-may-be-more-nutritious/15362.html

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Your chickens must be spoiled -- mine eat pretty much anything and everything that doesn't eat them first. Including things that aren't even food, like styrofoam or paper feed sacks if they can get to them (which isn't something I try to allow, but it has happened a few times).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by