Winter Entertainment for Ducks?

Haydog03

Crowing
Aug 24, 2018
West Virginia
Hi! I have five ducks. Three males (I think) and two females (maybe?)

Long story short; How do you entertain your ducks during winter?

Long story;
I have two lots/pens. One pen has three ducks; two males and one female (for sure), and a good sized pool. They chew grass coming through the fence and swim in the pool for fun. The other pen houses the two that were not sure what gender they are. It’s small (we’re expanding next spring and adding a big pool), and has small water dishes that they can step in but not fully submerge or float (it barely covers their feet). We’re taking out the pool from the other pen, because it’s starting to freeze here. The grass is dying. Any idea on how to occupy them? Will they occupy themselves? I searched up duck toys, but nothing. We also want the smaller pen to have entertainment, too, so our ducks aren’t bored! Any advice is appreciated! I should also mention, the smaller pen houses a broken-legged duck that has problems with mobility: that’s why we didn’t add a pool earlier, because we only now got a pool that she can get in and out of!

You need to make sure that you have a good male to female ratio so there is not over mating. I do 3-4 females to 1 male. So keeping in a pen 2 males and 1 female might end up bad....but if it going good for you now....don't worry about it. Ok for your Q: on sunny days keep the pool filled, here is a link to some fun stuff: https://thehappiestduck.wordpress.com/2018/05/05/boredom-busters/ (some is for summer but can be fun in the winter to).

You need to make sure that you have a good male to female ratio so there is not over mating. I do 3-4 females to 1 male. So keeping in a pen 2 males and 1 female might end up bad....but if it going good for you now....don't worry about it. Ok for your Q: on sunny days keep the pool filled, here is a link to some fun stuff: https://thehappiestduck.wordpress.com/2018/05/05/boredom-busters/ (some is for summer but can be fun in the winter to).

Thanks for the link! Do have any suggestions on where to get female ducks? How to intergrate them? My three (Herc, Des, and Pato) try to hurt or kill the other two in the pen. They’ll peck at them through the fence, and go for the eyes. The two in the pen may be male, so that might be why, but they sure go at it.

Thanks for the link! Do have any suggestions on where to get female ducks? How to intergrate them? My three (Herc, Des, and Pato) try to hurt or kill the other two in the pen. They’ll peck at them through the fence, and go for the eyes. The two in the pen may be male, so that might be why, but they sure go at it.
No problem for the link. I would search around on this BYC link and find some people who might be getting rid of one. If there is nobody on there then look on craigslist. I would just( to acclimate) use a little dog pen and set the girls out for a while with supervision and see how they act(NO physical contact). Keep doing that and then you can start watching them without the pen. I can a longish time for then to get to know each other...

No problem for the link. I would search around on this BYC link and find some people who might be getting rid of one. If there is nobody on there then look on craigslist. I would just( to acclimate) use a little dog pen and set the girls out for a while with supervision and see how they act(NO physical contact). Keep doing that and then you can start watching them without the pen. I can a longish time for then to get to know each other...
I checked around your blog! It was awesome! On the “My ducks” I saw that you got your ducks from Metzer farms? Is that a good place?

Great topic! I’m also trying to find ways to relieve my ducks’ boredom this winter as they are going to spend a lot of time in the barn due to the limited hours of sunlight. For now, I’ve been scattering bits of lettuce/greens throughout their stall for them to “forage” for when they have to be cooped up. If I find any fun ideas, I’ll definitely pass them along to you!!

Great topic! I’m also trying to find ways to relieve my ducks’ boredom this winter as they are going to spend a lot of time in the barn due to the limited hours of sunlight. For now, I’ve been scattering bits of lettuce/greens throughout their stall for them to “forage” for when they have to be cooped up. If I find any fun ideas, I’ll definitely pass them along to you!!

Thank you! I bought a cat toy for them, it was just some rope, (I put treats on it) and one of them loved it! The others didn’t care, lol!

In my Mallard enclosure their are 2 drakes, 4 ducks and 3 ducklings.

The drakes don’t fight as they are mates now, and they don’t bully the girls or the ducklings.

Also winter here in Australia is a cool summer so the ducks are out all year round. Winter here is June-August.
My large Pekin male bullies my male Cayuga. It’s just nips and pushes, nothing serious, as of yet, thankfully! Pato runs the males. She eats first, and they follow her, like in a trance! Glad your males don’t fight, it gives me hope! :fl

Back
Top Bottom