Winter greetings from Finland!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickfinland, Mar 16, 2013.

1. chickfinland

chickfinland Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Finland
    Hi!

I am a 30 year old female and I have had chickens for 3 years now. Me and my husband are both gone grazy over our chickens. At first i have to apologize for my typing and errors with my english :) i haven't had to speake or write in a long time, and I have had quite good numbers in languages in school! But that was 14yaers ago...

Curretly my Orpington flock is mixed colours, 4 hens, puff, mixed, black and splash and huge blue orpington rooster. Also I have a black Chinese Kochin couple ( I'm not sure is that the right name in England, in Finland it's called giant-kochin). Last but not least I have 2 gold-laced brahma's (again not sure of the colour :/ here it's just golden-brahma) and these girls have rooster too, ofcourse.

Growing up at this moment I have 14 orpington and 2 brahma chicks. In the yard walks freely 3 geeses and indoors with the hens liva two Aylesbury ducks, wich my friend brought me. Geeses are out during the day and come inside when it gets dark. We have had, in last two months -20 and upto -30 degrees below zero those days even geeses stay indoors, alltough I think they don't even mind the freezing weather! Normal finnish winter weather is everything around -5 to - 30. snow cover is about one meter.

I'm excited ti join this forum, I've visited here repeatedly and I have found such help for problems and I have longed for all the amazing colours that we don't have here :)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Your English is fine, don't worry. And you will get plenty practice here chatting with us. Finland sounds chilly, but I heard it's beautiful up there.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, chickfinland, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you here! You writing is just fine! Good luck to you and your birds!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]your chickens must be very cold hardy and you are caring for them well.

5. chickfinland

chickfinland Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks everyone :) All our breeds are thick feathered. Inside henhouse we keep temperature around +10 degreese in winter time. I haven't quite figured out can I set a photogallery for my birds in to the Gallery section?

Now I'm going to get information wich breeds roam the world and us Finns can only dream about. We have strick rules for bird keeping, everything has to be registred and from march to end off may, all birds must be kept in or outside enclosures must be decked so wild birds can't get to them, confusing is that it's okay to use net as roofing, so wild birds can poop in the enclosure when they fly over [​IMG] but apparrently thats not a risk for birdflu... birdflu has never been found in Finland, but these regulations have been in use for 3 or 4 years...

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your English is fine - glad that you have j oined the site.

8. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]From Kansas! Glad you joined us! [​IMG] Your writing is great. [​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by