Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

I am in the same boat with you !
fl.gif
I am watching my eggs like a hawk !
big_smile.png
Hatching date Jan 28th.

Hi guys... I set my 11 eggs Sat at 9:30 pm. I haven't been able to wait and candled. NOTHING. I am worried my first attempt at hatching, and starting a flock, will be an epic failure! :-( I really want some chicks at the end of the month...
To make things harder on me, 5 are EE eggs, 3 are black copper Marans both of which are dark and hard to see anyway. Any advice on howto get those to candle?
I basically need a pep talk I guess...

Ok I did candle a couple of my eggs 2 days ago, they are silkies and not dark like yours and well I couldn't see anything .... I am using that great thread of candling pictures as my guide and still I see NOTHING!!!! so I figured I need to be patient and wait a few more days... Yeah thats going to be easy. I am on Day 5 today so should I be able to see anything now???

Since you asked....

This is a group shot, the blacks are the Lav split AM

These are Leghorn x EE crosses and one Blue Rock

This is my only Lav AM

I did an eggtopsy after I moved them all 3 of the Leghorn eggs quite mid way. 2 or 3 of the AM eggs quit very early. One was developed fully but was dead IDKW see I don't know what I a looking for either or they would not have made it to lockdown
hide.gif
Just try to hatch them all. More go to lockdown on Saturday. Same batch as this one was for eggs.

OMG Your chicks are so cute!
wee.gif
I want some!!!! Now I am really going to sit and stare at my incubator ... well and add 11 BBS Marans and 13 BBS Orpingtons tonight
hide.gif

Yep the beginning of a HUGE PROBLEM ...... I can tell I need help already.

I have never seen such a beautiful chick as the lavender. I look at these babies and I just see little miracles! I hope I can be as blessed!
love.gif

Since you asked....

This is a group shot, the blacks are the Lav split AM

These are Leghorn x EE crosses and one Blue Rock

This is my only Lav AM

I did an eggtopsy after I moved them all 3 of the Leghorn eggs quite mid way. 2 or 3 of the AM eggs quit very early. One was developed fully but was dead IDKW see I don't know what I a looking for either or they would not have made it to lockdown
hide.gif
Just try to hatch them all. More go to lockdown on Saturday. Same batch as this one was for eggs.

I set 13 Bourbon Red turkey eggs on Jan 8. Now that DH is home, I can candle better (he has a really powerful flashlight).
I can't believe how many of you are setting silkie eggs! I'm jealous.. well for my DD. She had some beautiful black and white silkies last summer and then raccoons got the whole flock and then some. We ordered buff silkies from Welp in August and they are horrible. First off, I wouldn't call them buff... more like reddish, partridge-ish. Then there's the cockeral with the HUGE comb flopping around. Not OK, right? Oh well...
Can't wait until my BCMs start laying! But then they're so hard to candle that it makes it sooo stressful!
OK, I'm off to candle!!!

I just candled as I had to add my new eggs..... AND I see blobs of baby chickens!!! Out of 17 shipped silkie eggs 5 do not seem to be developing.... And I think I saw a blood ring or 2 .... Not really sure. But boy is it exciting to see veins and an eyeball! :D:D:D

I have never seen such a beautiful chick as the lavender. I look at these babies and I just see little miracles! I hope I can be as blessed!
love.gif

I go into lock down Tues. with some lavender Ameraucana and Ameraucana splits I got from Sonew. I also had some EE's in, but only have one EE left. I have 5 of the blue eggs left.
fl.gif
fl.gif
Your babies are darling, what mix is your leghorns? People think I'm silly, but I love leghorns! I have a white, and a brown. They are friendly when you pay attention to them.

Last edited:
I just candled as I had to add my new eggs..... AND I see blobs of baby chickens!!! Out of 17 shipped silkie eggs 5 do not seem to be developing.... And I think I saw a blood ring or 2 .... Not really sure. But boy is it exciting to see veins and an eyeball! :D:D:D

I candled all 12 of my eggs yesterday and could see 9 black eyes and one was wriggling around lol.. Im struggling with the BC Maran eggs too dark to see even with a brinsea candler my sister got me for xmas . I thought i only had 7 good ones but after switching all the lights off i could see something in the marans eggs.. Good luck to you.x

Back
Top Bottom