Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

I have one that zipped almost all the way around, but the membrane is not really broken yet. I can't detect any more movement or sound and I am worried that it may have died. I keep telling myself not to intervene, but it's so hard to when you think you might be able to help. Today is hatch day and so far I have 6 of the 20 eggs that have completely hatched. Many haven't even pipped yet.

Woke up at 6 am this morning to a hatched baby and another that was almost out!!! I now have 6 fuzzy butts and about 5 more pips. I still have about 4 that haven't piped. Thing is they arent due until sunday night! Happy with what I have already, but still rooting for the rest!! :D

It was pipped for 24 hrs.

I do have awesome news now! We watched one EE hatch about an hour ago. I'm so happy! It having hatched is finally motivating the chick that has been pipped since noon but has done nothing else. It's finally starting to zip.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
From what I have been told and have actually followed myself quite a few times, 24 hours is too long! We usually get to about 20 and then set to work! We open the egg at the pip and pretty muc remove the entire empty piece of the egg where the air cell was! Then we check veins! If they are looking somewhat dried then we carefully free the head! If she is really ready to go then out she will pop! If she was not quite then she will at least be able to breathe better with her head free! My hubby and I have done this with 5 or 6 out of 23 in the last 2 weeks and they are alive and well and growing liike weeds!

I have one that zipped almost all the way around, but the membrane is not really broken yet. I can't detect any more movement or sound and I am worried that it may have died. I keep telling myself not to intervene, but it's so hard to when you think you might be able to help. Today is hatch day and so far I have 6 of the 20 eggs that have completely hatched. Many haven't even pipped yet.

If she managed to zip then she is probably ready to rock and roll out of that shell! We tend to remove just a small piece or even make a small tear right at the beak! That will give her some fresh air and you will be able to see if she is doing ok without removing her completely!

I am still having hatcher temp issues. It was 99 for 2 days before I put the eggs in lockdown. Then it dropped to 95 over night. I tinkered with it and got it up to 97. But didn't want to get it too high so it was 97 over the next night. Got it up to 99 and then it dropped down to 97 right before I left. I was afraid to mess with it when I could not watch it. So yesterday was day 21 and NOTHING, NADA..... that is a first for me. They usually pip on day 19 or 20
hit.gif
I am hoping they will just be late....

DMRippy I'm having the same problems .... I borrowed a brinsea to hatch in as I have a staggered hatch... I had it running steady at 99.5 until I put the eggs in... Then it dropped to 98.2 and then next day went down to 97
barnie.gif
I tried wrapping it in a towel but I'm not sure that has done anything. I'm on day 21 and nothing ... Nothing at all. I'm really hoping they are just late with them lower temp. I played them some chirping chick sounds to try and get them motivated. Still nothing.
hit.gif

DMRippy I'm having the same problems .... I borrowed a brinsea to hatch in as I have a staggered hatch... I had it running steady at 99.5 until I put the eggs in... Then it dropped to 98.2 and then next day went down to 97
barnie.gif
I tried wrapping it in a towel but I'm not sure that has done anything. I'm on day 21 and nothing ... Nothing at all. I'm really hoping they are just late with them lower temp. I played them some chirping chick sounds to try and get them motivated. Still nothing.
hit.gif

I think we will just have to wait and see..... together

Think we are done with our first hatch of 24ish eggs. These included some shipped and good ole barnyard mix. We had 18 to hatch
love.gif
. We had to help four that began hatching when our humidity spiked up to 90%. They had that sticky stuff all over them. All are doing well and I'm so glad I got two bantam faverolles to hatch. I lost 10. Will get some pics posted. The 3 turkeys we have left will be next. I can rest after that.

From what I have been told and have actually followed myself quite a few times, 24 hours is too long! We usually get to about 20 and then set to work! We open the egg at the pip and pretty muc remove the entire empty piece of the egg where the air cell was! Then we check veins! If they are looking somewhat dried then we carefully free the head! If she is really ready to go then out she will pop! If she was not quite then she will at least be able to breathe better with her head free! My hubby and I have done this with 5 or 6 out of 23 in the last 2 weeks and they are alive and well and growing liike weeds!  

Wish I had seen this post yesterday. Needless to say, she never broke through the membrane and died in the shell. The yolk was all absorbed, and everything looked fine, but the membrane was dry even at 65% humidity. :(

Back
Top Bottom