Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
LadyCluck I was thinking that I did have a couple hens that finished growing back in feathers on their backs a little bit late...and there were some nights that the temps dipped to the teens or so and I did put their little felted wool saddles I cut out of old sweaters that I washed down. I knew they were pretty exposed and the temps were hitting those lows...and I did this pampering thing for those "threadbare" hens. LOL. Never thought I do that for them...but I envisioned myself out in the cold without a stitch of covering on my back and didn't like the idea too much.
That's adorable. An old friends mother used to use her husband's old underwear for her "threadbare" chickens.... Not sure how she did it though :)

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Oh Funny Hennible. Okay...yes...the question on "how she did it" does come to mind.... But my main question is what qualifies that underwear to be "old" and then finding inspiration to upcycle into chicken garb.

Shot elastic? Tidge thread bare itself? the ....errr... unmentionable stains?

gig.gif
sickbyc.gif

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Oh Funny Hennible. Okay...yes...the question on "how she did it" does come to mind.... But my main question is what qualifies that underwear to be "old" and then finding inspiration to upcycle into chicken garb.

Shot elastic? Tidge thread bare itself? the ....errr... unmentionable stains?

gig.gif
sickbyc.gif
Well, I don't see that the...errr...unmentionable stains...would be an issue. I mean, if they weren't stained before they will be soon, right?

Well I guess the 1900s were different... ( my friend was in her 80s, so her mom did this way back... Making all the underwear old ha!)
Oh my chickens with stains, from the previous owner... yuck! :lau

Poor Lady Cluck...I'm going on a tangent on her good cold weather thread....(Thanks Hennible)
wink.png

But recently I had my vehicle in at the shop and had to wait for it. I was fortunate to get to sit down with a couple of old timers and talk about stuff from back in the day and they both had shirts that were stitch from flour sacks. Thought that was kind of cool. And how "country" and frugle.

I love up cycling. My coop is all recycled materials. But the old underwear bit may be crossing the line on this chicken ranch...LOL.

Last edited:
Poor Lady Cluck...I'm going on a tangent on her good cold weather thread....(Thanks Hennible);)

But recently I had my vehicle in at the shop and had to wait for it. I was fortunate to get to sit down with a couple of old timers and talk about stuff from back in the day and they both had shirts that were stitch from flour sacks. Thought that was kind of cool.  And how "country" and frugle. 

I love up cycling.  My coop is all recycled materials.  But the old underwear bit may be crossing the line on this chicken ranch...LOL.

Just fits the theme, my coop is a recycled outhouse... A large outhouse but an outhouse.

Back
Top Bottom