Winter is coming! Protecting eggs from freezing

Dukes7779

Chirping
Apr 15, 2019
Northern NY
Hey all,
This will be my first winter with chickens and I've been researching methods to prevent eggs from freezing. As such I began to look for heating mats and have seen many seedling and reptile mats but with my nesting box size of 16" x 48" (divided into three separate boxes by removable partitions) I needed something bigger than a 10 x 20" mat and I came across this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013V1PYA/?tag=backy-20

I would put this on the bottom of the nesting box with those plastic egg laying mats (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WLHM8W/?tag=backy-20) and hay on top. Looking for thoughts on this as it would reduce the number of cords to plug in as well as hoping to provide others who are researching with some info.

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

Also, would this heating mat work on the floor for my silkies to keep them warm this winter since they don't roost, they just form a poultry pile on the floor. Thanks!

"Not for use on wood, carpet, or other delicate surfaces"

"Caution should be taken when placing the Foot Warmer on delicate floors such as carpet, linoleum, or wood due to the risk of damage. This heated mat is ideal for use on hard, cold, impervious floors such as concrete, tile, and stone. "

But looking at reviews looks like some have gotten around this by putting another rubber mat underneath. Also note someone used a thermostat.

I know one lady that made roll put nest boxes... the eggs roll out and bump up against a bit of pipe insulation, she puts heat tape inside the pipe insulation.

She said she never gets frozen eggs, and I know she sees temps below-20F

She has been using that set-up for a good number of years with zero issues.

My interpretation was that the mat/heat may discolor or warp hardwood floors, linoleum, or carpet, not worried about that in the nesting box or coop.

My interpretation was that the mat/heat may discolor or warp hardwood floors, linoleum, or carpet, not worried about that in the nesting box or coop.
Let us know how it works out.
I wonder if you can put a rheostat on it control the temp?
Say it gets up to 135°F...which might be too hot?
Wonder if(or how well) it works in freezing winter temps?
Just thinking too much again.:oops:

Back
Top Bottom