1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter is coming what do I do

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lulu313, Sep 10, 2012.

1. lulu313

lulu313 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    ]I am a first time chicken owner and I live in western Wisconsin and it gets cold. Here are some pictures for my coop. There is like a big tarp over there run because we had a hawk problem. But the tarp won't be there in a couple weeks cause we are putting up a real roof. I just need to ever thing you think might be useful for me to know tips,how to keep out wind,what's the best thing to do to keep the coop warm,or just anything that is useful info. That would be great thank you for your help.

I will post the pictures soon

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Tips:
    Angle the roof away from the run, so the water drains away not in.
    The North side is considered a cold side - the south side is where the sun will sneak in to warm things.
    If you can use transparent material to let light in, that's a good thing.
    I have photos in my links if you'd like to see what we did.
    Our roofline drains into the run and we've put up a gutter & modified it again today.
    Good luck!

Edit: You can pile hay bales around the outside edges to block wind too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    On the roosting side, make sure theres no drafts to keep cold air out.

4. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Own only cold hardy breeds.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Welcome LuLu313 [​IMG] from San Diego....

Lots of draft free ventilation..... They handle cold pretty well but moisture built up in the coop is a Baadd thing. The Straw bales are an excellent seasonal option and you can use the straw later for mulch or even bedding.

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by