winter is coming!!!

moxiemom6

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
northern illinois
Winter is coming and I would like to hear what you use to keep the water from freezing. Last year, I bought a heated waterer that was filled from the bottom and then you had to flip it over!!! I hated it. I drilled a hole through the top and used a cork to keep it from letting water overflow - which happened a bit anyway. I used it inside the coop only. I filled water dishes in the run in the morning and checked to see if it was frozen later. If so - I either refilled or just broke a little ice off the top of the dish..
All in all - water was a pain in the butt for most of the winter. I keep water in the coop and in the run. Looking to hear what you use.
thanks in advance!

there is an article or thread on BYC on how to use compost to keep water from freezing. you use a bucket, dig a hole twice the size of the bucket and line it manure and bedding around the bucket on all sides. Where I live that is not needed, I just come out with warm water and dump it on the small layer of ice and it melts. It does not stay below freezing during the day here, it might take until noon to get above freezing but the water doesn't freeze back up on me until after sunset.

I think I bought the same waterer and felt the same way about it. Kudos to you for figuring out a way NOT to have to tip it over. I also keep water in my coops because some days, it's just too cold and too windy (and too snowy) for my birds to even consider going out into the runs or the yard.

I've had my best success with heated dog watering dishes, You've just reminded me of one of my least favorite things about winter.

Where are you located and how many chickens are you watering? It is helpful if you fill in your general location in your profile.

The most common (and easiest) answers are electric. I use a heated water bucket with horizontal nipples (vertical nipples are more likely to freeze). It has worked well for my three chickens down to -10F.

I think I bought the same waterer and felt the same way about it. Kudos to you for figuring out a way NOT to have to tip it over. I also keep water in my coops because some days, it's just too cold and too windy (and too snowy) for my birds to even consider going out into the runs or the yard.

I've had my best success with heated dog watering dishes, You've just reminded me of one of my least favorite things about winter.
Ha! Sorry to bring up the thought of cold weather! I'm in northern illinois and keeping water from being an ice cube was challenge! Mybe you will follow this thread and we can find out a thing or two to help put! Take care

Where are you located and how many chickens are you watering? It is helpful if you fill in your general location in your profile.

The most common (and easiest) answers are electric. I use a heated water bucket with horizontal nipples (vertical nipples are more likely to freeze). It has worked well for my three chickens down to -10F.
Is that a bucket that you put a heater into? I am in northern illinois. There are 14 chickens in the flock. Thanks for feedback!

I use a container, in my case an 11 gallon tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a 250 watt stock tank deicer. Lasts a dozen birds for over a week between fillings. Has kept my water thawed down to the -20s F.
Thank you for the reply. My girls have always had a dish outside, and a waterer with cups in and outside the coop. Guess I can transition them to nipple waterer before it gets cold! They are certainly suspicious of change and slow to do it!

What brand deicer/heater do you have? I only took a quick look on what google bought up. This sounds easier and cleaned than what I had going on last year!

take care

Back
Top Bottom