winter layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken stalker, Sep 19, 2008.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I am looking for some breeds of chickens that lay during the winter. I live in upstate NY and have looked over this site http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/dual.html tons of great information. Out of the breeds listed as winter layers, which ones do you recommend as being pretty consistant?[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Buff Orpington's. Of course I am partial because of their wonderful nature, but the are winter hardy and consistent layers.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I was wondering if I needed to add light to the layer coop this winter to keep my young girls laying. I have BO as well.
    My Cochins laid all last winter just fine without any additional light but I also have only a 3 sided coop for them. The south side is left open with only wire so they got morning til dark light in there and were allowed to free range.
    I am hoping a lot of my new pullets of the many different breeds will do well for most of the winter.
    I have heard that light plays the most important part of winter laying but those Cochins didn't seem to have a problem. Goodness knows they certainly don't get cold!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by