Winter management poll

welsummer4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
There have been a lot of threads the last few days about caring for chickens in the cold. Everyone has great arguments/reasoning behind their cold weather care methods, be they heat or no heat, insulated coop or un-insulated coop, deep-litter, etc. Just for the sake of satisfying my own obsession with this topic, I thought it would be interesting to take an informal poll on how everyone handles the cold.

Below this post you'll find a short list of questions about your cold-weather flock management methods (indulge me--like I said, I'm a little obsessed right now). Just click the "quote" button for the post to add your answers. I think it will be fun to tally the results in a week or so, no?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
Thanks "teach1rus" . honestly hadn't thought about the window ledges as being a moisture issue because of droppings but I've been scraping them every day. I assume you have dropping boards under your roosts to catch much of the droppings? never knew there was a need for that because of deep litter. but with 9 birds it's a good idea you think? you have to understand I was sort of thrown into the chicken world without knowing a whole lot but have been doing my research and feel they are doing well. but I always like to ask questions and hear others opinions. We rescued our hen from a gas station parking lot! So that how this story began! : )
Well I love dropping boards because I'm kind of finicky about the coops getting pooped up...lol. Everyone does what works for them...many find DLM ideal for their situations. But because I close off almost all my night time ventilation through the few coldest weeks of winter, I def. don't want droppings accumulating (due to moisture build-up/unhealthy air). I would presume those who use deep litter make sure they have ample ventilation to release that warm, moist air.
With dropping boards, you just keep a small bucket and 4-6" putty knife handy and do a quick scrape/rake into the bucket each morning. I have three coops, and it takes me less than 10 minutes to make the rounds. About once a week I dump the bucket into compost.
I also like dropping boards because it gives you a quick look at their poo each day- to inspect for worms. I've treated my flocks for worms 2x (this is my 4th year with chickens), and both times I'd discovered a roundworm in poo on the dropping board. I doubt I would have noticed them otherwise...???
Keep learning! If you're like most of us, you'll change your mind and way of doing certain things several times as you figure out what works best for you and your birds...

Heat: yes/no

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?:

Insulated coop: yes/no

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter:

Coop size:

Litter method:

#of chickens in coop:

Location (city and/or state and/or zone):

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?:

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods:

Last edited:
(I'm going to post three times for the three states in which I've kept chickens...)

Minnesota

Heat: no

Insulated coop: yes

Approximate coop size: 5X10

Litter method: Straw

#of chickens in coop: 10

Location (state and/or city): Detroit Lakes, MN

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 10

New Mexico

Insulated coop: no

Approximate coop size: 6x12

Litter method: None

#of chickens in coop: 3

Location (state and/or city): Santa Fe, NM

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 3

Heat: yes and no....when temps get below 30, we usually turn on the heat lamp, but I have found that they could care less either way.

Insulated coop: no, our coop is not insulated, but it is sealed where needed with ventilation.

Approximate coop size: 8 feet x 12 feet

Litter method: deep litter

#of chickens in coop: right now, 15. We did have 30 in there. (Yes, 30 is over the 4 sq ft per bird, but we live in a climate where they have access to outside year round, so it isn't an issue like some would have if they had to be locked up all day due to weather).

Location (state and/or city): High Desert, CA...HOT summers and cold winters (lows to low teens with the rarity of lower temps and HIGH winds (low teens with 60 mph winds is COLD!!!)).

How many winters have you been through of with chickens?: This will be #4

Montana

Insulated coop: yes

Approximate coop size: 5X6

Litter method: Straw and soil

#of chickens in coop: 7

Location (state and/or city): Missoula, MT

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This will be the first one!

Winter management pollHeat: yes

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?:Lamps at night

Insulated coop: no

Approximate coop size: 24 X 12

Litter method:Deep with pine shavings

#of chickens in coop: 88 ( 43 over 5 months olds and 45 barely over a month)

Location (state and/or city):petersburg, TX

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?:None

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom