Winter management poll

Two coops, so I'll answer twice.
Adult coop:

Re: Winter management poll
Heat: yes/no No

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?:

Insulated coop: yes/no yes

Amount of ventilation you employ on average during the winter: Ventilation slats at the roof line on two sides, windows open except on the nastiest of days, closed at night for temps. under 40.

Approximate coop size: 8X10

Litter method: DLM

#of chickens in coop: 13

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): SW Arkansas

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This is the big'uns third winter

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock fared using these methods: They do absolutely fine. I've dealt with frozen waterers a handful of times.

Heat: no

Insulated coop: no

Amount of ventilation you employ on average during the winter: Open overhang roof vents (See My page) great ventilation.

Approximate coop size: 8X8

Litter method: deep litter, pine shavings

#of chickens in coop: 12

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Michigan 5b

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 1

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock fared using these methods: No problems

Juvenile Coop

Re: Winter management poll
Heat: yes/no no

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?:

Insulated coop: yes/no yes

Amount of ventilation you employ on average during the winter: A small window left open at all times. The solid doors that cover the screened door(s) open all day, except for the nastiest of days. Solid doors closed for nighttime temps. below 40.

Approximate coop size: 12X14

Litter method: Approx. 6" of pine shavings, which will be become the DLM over winter

#of chickens in coop: 19

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): SW Arkansas

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This will be the little ones first winter, my third.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock fared using these methods: So far they are loving it.

Quote:
ROO HAS LARGE COMB AND WADDLE AND WAS SHOWING SIGNS OF FROST BITE SO MY SISTER WHO HAS RAISED CHICKENS FOR 20 PLUS YEARS SUGGESTED ADDING HEAT LAMP IN CORNER AND THE CHICKENS WOULD DECIDE WHEN THEY NEEDED IT AND SHE WAS RIGHT! SUNNY DAYS THEY WENT OUT AND ENJOYED THE NICE WEATHER AND DURING SNOW AND ICE STAYED IN AND SIT UNDER HEAT LAMP ! NEVER LOST A CHICKEN AND NEVER HAD FROSTBITE (THEY DECIDE WHEN THEY NEED HEAT)

Quote:
Frostbit comb on roos the first winter. I put some cardboard over some of the bigger cracks in the coop the second year and started using deep litter method. No more frostbite.

My flock always thrives well in winter and free ranges throughout. Tend to stay in the coop when snows over 2 ft. but usually attempt to forage all winter.

Heat: NO, but they do have a heated waterer.

Insulated coop: YES and NO. Walls yes, rafters no

Amount of ventilation you employ on average during the winter: PLENTY

Approximate coop size: 8X12

Litter method: DLM...pine shavings 8 inches deep with DE and turned at least once a week.

#of chickens in coop: 5 chickens, 6 turkeys, 3 peafowl for a total of 14

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): You can almost spit into Northwest Ontario from here
lol.png

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: First one

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock fared using these methods: So far so good, no frostbite..last night it got down to 9 F. Everyone comes out each day so far for a while...turkeys are out all day. Locked down snug at night. Scratch before they go to roost.

Heat: no

If yes on heat, what method do you use (lamp, flat panel, etc.)?

Insulated coop: no

Amount of ventilation you employ on average during the winter: 4 4inx4in

Approximate coop size: 5 ftx5ftx5ft

Litter method: pine shavings added daily

#of chickens in coop: 9

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: my first

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock fared using these methods

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far! This is great info.

Next Sunday (or thereabouts) I'll enter all of the data in to a spreadsheet arranged by zone. I'll also continue to update it as people respond after that, too. I could see this being a continuous database of winter flock management methods (I'm a data nerd).
Thanks again,
Alex R.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom