Ash_lie

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2017
Hudson Valley NY
Hello!

I have a 9 month old Easter Egger. She is my matriarch of our now only 2 chicken flock :( (for now!). I have noticed over the past few days feathers in the bottom of the coop, and today could see feathers just dropping off her as she went about her business. I suspect she is molting as I have thoroughly checked over her body... no mites, no lice, etc. She is my healthiest gal, and she runs the show... so I do not suspect that the other chicken who is extremely docile to be picking out her feathers. Soooo.... is molting in the first year, and molting in December normal or okay? Should I worry?

Thanks!

Not sure what is and isn't normal, but my 2 yr old EE is molting. It's been brutally cold here especially for December, she's doing well.
There are many recent threads asking the same question - I'm beginning to think it is not unusual. Technically via the calendar, winter only started about 10 days ago. Of course weatherwise, it feels like it started ages ago. ;)
IMG_20171229_160334850.jpg

I have a few that are now 10 months old, but started molting about a month ago. They are about done and have grown most of their feathers back.

This is the first year in 25 that I can remember young birds molting. My 13 are 9 months old & two (1EE & 1 Austarlorp) have been molting for the last several weeks. Since Thanksgiving I am down from 10 eggs a day to 4-6.

That looks more like rooster wearing from too much mating. I'm assuming you have a rooster.
Yes with 5 hens. 3 of the 5 hens are similar... this is he first season I have had chickens so I thought it was part of the molt. Would this effect the frequency of egg laying? Also, so I need to get rid of the rooster??

The stress of being mated repeatedly can affect laying and health. You can get rid of the rooster or separate him out. You should have more hens for a better rooster to hen ratio, although sometimes it doesn't matter as some roosters will continue to mate a select few too much.

You can also try hen saddles, but I find it's easier to manage the rooster instead of hens wearing saddles which can cause problems like rubbing, and allowing external parasites to get out of control.

Back
Top Bottom